HybridZ

rear suspension terminology

2dj5s38.jpg

Z & ZX suspension, think i got this right (havent messed with them cv's/turbo stuff in a while) and trying to use their terminology....

Please correct me if i am wrong JonhC but i am pretty sure i have these marked correctly because i know i have been asked this by a few people.

The red part is not a CV. It is a special ball bearing slip yoke. The rubber boot does kind of resemble a CV boot, but it does not articulate the way a CV does.

The companion flange is the part at the wheel end which the halfshaft bolts to. It slides onto the splines on the stub axle. The part that you marked in blue as stub axle is where the stub axle and companion flange meet. So the part that you bolt the wheel to is the stub axle, and it has a splined shaft that sticks through the semi trailing arm where the companion flange plugs on and there is a big nut holding it all together.

Technically the side axle is a stub axle as well, any very short axle is a stub axle, but calling it a side axle differentiates it from the stub axle that the wheels bolt to. Could also be called an output shaft, side shaft, any number of different terms apply.