HybridZ

Side draft issues

NismoZ

Ok guys, Ive been having some issues with one of my dhla not flowing evenly and I need a suggestion on how to get this carb right. It seems to have a twisted throttle shaft, I had a peek through the progression hole covers to see where the butterflies were set at idle and one is at the first progression hole while the other is at about 8th ahead of the other. When the engine is running with the air bypass closed, one flows at about 2in/hg while the other is at about 5in/hg at about 900 rpm. Is there any easy way to correct this issue? Can I just twist the shaft back?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by NismoZ

Thanks for the replys guys, so the weber shafts will work with the dell's? If so that would be nice considering the dell shafts are a little pricey. I think ill give the shaft a twist with a small wrench on the flat ends.

I hope it doesn't damage the threads. BTW will the shafts snap if I'm not careful?

D'OH! I saw "DCOE" not "DHLA"

But the same goes for Dellorto, they sell shafts. But skip to the end for another useful tip.

Weber / Dellorto shafts are MUCH different than Mikuinis. The Mikuinis were MUCH easier to tweak and where they had the 'flats' machined is where they liked to 'twist'... Generally guys would use to wrenches on the nuts on either end and tweak them at midthrottle and then let them reseat to see what result was achieved. Mikuinis would stick in the throttle barrel if you backed the idle speed screw out and then had heavy return springs and stiff linkages: they would slam shut and STICK CLOSED. At least one would. The one furthest away from the throttle linkage.

Dells and Webers are a different animal as they have nice ball bearings to run the throttle shaft, and it seemed to be of a better quality material not prone to twisting.

All the above being said...

Check to see if your Dell has an equalizing screw. Some models of DHLA came with little screws that would allow bypassing of air around the throttle plate to allow idle synch when the plates were not 'equal'... it's not right, and the car will idle higher as the other two carbs need to have the same flow. But they did have a mechanisim built in to equalize flows between the barrels of the same carburettor. Some do, some don't. You would have to search for the photos or get a Dell tech manual to see the screws I'm talking about. If they aren't there, the divots for the drilled passages are still in the casting.

No, I wouldn't try to retrofit the devices if you don't have them! ;)

Good Luck!