HybridZ

Gotta Headlight issue...Whaddya Think?

tommyboy

Ok, so as the title says, I gotta headlight issue with my '81 N/A 2+2 and wanted to know what you guys think it might be. When I go to turn on my lights, the running lights will turn on but when I turn the switch to headlights, they won't come on. When I flip the switch back and forth from running lights to headlights, they will sometimes come on, and when they do, they will stay on until I turn them off. Also, when they DO turn on, they don't flicker, nor do they dim or anything. I've checked and cleaned the connections in the combination switch, I also checked the fuses, all to no avail. Also, now after a few days, they no longer come on at all. I've been looking through my Nissan service manual, and I think the problem might be the Headlamp Sensor, which is located right in front of the relay box in the engine bay. But unfortunately there's no info about what this "Headlamp Sensor" is, or what it does exactly. Can you guys help? Thankx a lot!

did you look at the connector from the switch to the main harness. Mine had a burnt contact and wasn't allowing curent to pass. also check the lighting relay EL38 in the fsm

I did check the relay (I actually checked all 3 just in case) and they're good. I'll check the connection today though, and see if that's it. But if the contact was burnt, wouldn't the lights flicker, or dim when they were on?

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty, UPDATE. I've checked the switch, the connector that connects the switch to the main harness, and the headlight relay, all to no avail. :unsure: I don't know what the deuce is goin on but the next thing Ima do is check the wire that connects from the fusible link for the headlights to the fuse box. If anyone has any other ideas what it might be, I'd really appreciate it.

It's not the sensor - it simply senses if there is continuity through both low beam filaments...

Actually, in my Nissan Service Manual, it says this under the Trouble Diagnoses part for the Headlights:

CONDITION: Headlamps do not come on either high or low beams.

PROBABLE CAUSE:

1. Burnt fusible link. CHECKED, ALL GOOD.

2. Loose connection or open circuit. CHECKED ALL HARNESS CONNECTIONS AND CIRCUITS FOR CONTINUITY - ALL GOOD.

3. Faulty Lighting switch. CHECKED AND ALL CONTACTS & CONNECTIONS ARE GOOD.

4. Faulty Headlamp Sensor. DON'T HAVE A WAY TO CHECK IT.

So I'm gonna try and get one form the local wrecker and I'll see how that goes. :blink:

Edited by tommyboy

Silly question, but are you checking the circuit when it's working, or when there is no power to the headlights? It should be pretty simple to diagnose when they're not working. Turn them on, if they don't work, start checking for power and ground at the harness connections. Start at the lights themselves and move back. Makes sure you are checking power and ground at each spot. Eventually, you'll come to a place that doesn't have one or the other. I suspect its the switch itself, whether or not the contacts were cleaned, it could just be wearing out. But if you follow the circuits path, you will find the problem. Just make sure it's not working when you trouble shoot!