HybridZ

Missed out on a built L28et, $350

Challenger

http://kpr.craigslist.org/cto/1884658206.html

Guy put it into an s10. Apparently...

"No there was almost nothing stock on the motor it was built from bottom up. Crank rods pistons heads valves turbo injectors everything"

Who knows how much was true, still had the stock fuel rail so they were still barbed injectors but man to bad I was to late, it already sold! Grr! It really intrigued me that he mentioned crank. I wonder if it was a stroker or if hes just full of BS, which I wouldnt be suprised, it was on craigslist.

Edited by Challenger

Plus, someone who calls it a v6 and then says it can hold 650hp...that worries me. Also he was "unable to pull it out of the truck" for $1000, now $350 for everything.

250 just for the fram itself, I wouldn't pay that much for a filter. :D

Well he did say it was a 2.8 v6, not that it was at the moment. Plus the guy sounded like he didn't really know what he was talking about so most likely he bought the engine "built" from some other guy and is just going off what he said. That seems to be the case in a lot of craigslist people I meet.

Well he did say it was a 2.8 v6, not that it was at the moment. Plus the guy sounded like he didn't really know what he was talking about so most likely he bought the engine "built" from some other guy and is just going off what he said. That seems to be the case in a lot of craigslist people I meet.

Mama always said craigslist was like a box a chocolates, never know what you're gonna get.

I would still have bought it for $350 though, it looks clean enough. You could recover most that money just from the Fram.

Edited by goodoldjam

Yeah if I had a nickel for everytime someone says 2.8 liter v6. haha

He sounded like he knew very little about the engine but as mentioned for $350, you can scrap the car for a couple hundred and youd have a cheap engine. Pull off the head and pan and see what its got. It would have been a garunteed profit, although I probably would have just set it on the engine stand for when I blow my turbo engine. haha Only problem would have been getting it home, probably would have had to buy the truck and yank the engine out. I could scrap the car down in kennewick and haul the engine back home. (kennewicks 2 hours away from me)

I bought my complete turbo swap for $325 + a set of wiper arms for a 240z, came with a few aftermarket parts too(HG, fidanza fw, clutch). Apparently I'm the only one in western ny with any love for the L series, he had it for sale for $350 for at least a month.:lol:

I bought my complete turbo swap for $325 + a set of wiper arms for a 240z, came with a few aftermarket parts too(HG, fidanza fw, clutch). Apparently I'm the only one in western ny with any love for the L series, he had it for sale for $350 for at least a month.:lol:

I payed $400 for a complete good running 280zxt. Not a bad looking car minus the quarter damage. That was almost 5 years ago, don't think I could get a deal like that now. People used to have no love for the 280zx. Now people are trying to get 3k for rattle canned high mileage heaps.

That was after I bought a POS turbo engine for $300 from a junkyard and found it was to far worn.

Edited by goodoldjam

Always investigate the hot pink block in the car on the junkyard pile...

100,000 yen later (268=$1 at the time, you do the math) got me a N/A 3L with a full ported head and 74degree JDM cam. Ended up selling it for a generous profit after it's capabilites were proven through several years of...uh.. Yeah, I sold it for more to buy more stuff to go turbo. Now I wish I had it, for nothing else than the head and cam.... My first 8000 rpm engine. Not a bad deal from the junkyard and a hot day pulling it! (Normally at the time, an L28 would sell for around 20,000 yen... When the junkyard owner said "Sanzen" I knew what he meant!)

Edited by Tony D