HybridZ

SU Cold Air Modification

240zip

I have a CAI cone filter and an old SU airbox. Has anyone cut then welded a 3" pipe to the airbox and then routed it out the front and attached a CAI filter? This seems like a really cheap mod. CAI kits can be had for under $50. The cuting and welding of the adaptor flange is perhaps 1 hour of work (tops).

I've seen this and variants for triples. If I were to go the triple route, I'd consider it. My idea was the same concept but for SUs.

RaceTep

I would still use the SU heat shield. I think I need to create a picture. I'd duct air via a 3" pipe and CAI filter from in front of the radiator support. None-the-less this is something that's so cheap and quick that I figure I'll just do it.

post-1627-083796700 1283288436_thumb.jpg

240zip

Modification I made was to remove the air intake snout and weld in a 3 inch tube slightly flattened to match a/c front curve and width.

Had to enlarge lower driver side hole to allow for the 3 inch flex hose to front of radiator bulkhead.......as I wanted to keep vent air.

Led flex hose to central location just below top radiator mount.

This set up allows you to route cold air either thru the

cone type filter in front of radiator.......or to just use flex hose for intake air and use canister air element.

Incidentally when I was running fuel injection.......I routed hose to my weber big throat.

My 240 runs very sweetly and breathes very well at higher revs.......so I guess what I've done makes some kind of sense.

Regards, John Turner