HybridZ

90+ 300zx V8 Conversion

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scarp, have you for sure decided on a SBC then? What are your plans?

I remember you were talking about a SBC 302 TT a while ago. biggrin.gif Hehe.

------------------

"Nothing is fool proof to a sufficiently talented fool."

Richard Lewis - 1972 240z, Powered by a Nissan 2.8L Turbo Inline 6.

Drax240's Turbo Site

Beginners Turbo FAQ & Answers

Guest Jeff Rimmer

Out of curiosity, why are you swapping for a chevy? Was that engine pooched? or has the quest for more power overtaken you?

I have always found the 300 such as the one you have to be powerful and very nice throughout the rpm range. I've never personally owned one of course, just ridden in one countless times, thanks to my brother-in-law.

I'm currently undergoing a restoration and 383 buildup myself in a 77 280Z, but it was underpowered compared to the 300.

good luck with the project none-the-less

JR

quote:

Originally posted by DavyZ:

FWIW, IMO a V8 Z32 swap should do very nicely in there. Are you going for the A/T or T6 LT1 in the Z32 ASAP? RSVP!
biggrin.gif

DS

well thinking LT1/T56 or the new LS1/T56 (gm is offering these with wiring and computer for a price frown.gif )

that would be crazy!!!! turbo v8 in that batch, nobody could see that coming, or maybe an rb26?? ls1/t56 can be had for a somewhat reasonable price from this one gm sports salvage yard out here i have yet to talk to. do it do it. im trying to convince my homie out here to swap in a 350tpi/t5 into a 240sx-smoke em up!!!

Guest MegaShaft_2000

quote:

Originally posted by scarp:

The Nissan motor in it has a hole in the pan do to a run away rod.
wink.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks like a 2+2 300ZX you have, and the 2+2 only came with the non-turbo engine in the United States.

Was it a naturally aspirated model, or was the car imported?

quote:

Originally posted by MegaShaft_2000:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks like a 2+2 300ZX you have, and the 2+2 only came with the non-turbo engine in the United States.

Was it a naturally aspirated model, or was the car imported?

Ahh good eye, yes it is a 2+2 N/A with a bad motor.

thats why the canadate for a swap. wink.gif

Jeff Rimmer: The 383 was "underpowered" compared to the 300?!? I'm totally shocked! A 383 has enough stump pulling torque to twist a unibody and smoke the hides for days. I can't believe you actually said that, unless your setup was an exception? What's the deal????

Scarp: If you have the bucks, a force fed LT1 or LS1 would be sooo sweet. Heck, you bought that thing for a song, but money does not grow on trees. You are, however, safer in that "modern" car as opposed to the older series you once had, so maybe putting some good cash into it is worth it after all?

David

Uh Davy, I think you misread that.

"I'm currently undergoing a restoration and 383 buildup myself in a 77 280Z, but it was underpowered compared to the 300."

I think he's saying that the 280z was underpowered compared to the 300zx, and that is why he feel is necessary to put a 383 in the 280z.

------------------

"Nothing is fool proof to a sufficiently talented fool."

Richard Lewis - 1972 240z, Powered by a Nissan 2.8L Turbo Inline 6.

Drax240's Turbo Site

Beginners Turbo FAQ & Answers

Guest Jeff Rimmer

quote:

Originally posted by DavyZ:

Jeff Rimmer: The 383 was "underpowered" compared to the 300?!? I'm totally shocked! A 383 has enough stump pulling torque to twist a unibody and smoke the hides for days. I can't believe you actually said that, unless your setup was an exception? What's the deal????

Sorry I meant to say the original inline was underpowered thus worthy of a swap. I havn't yet installed the 383, its built and looking pretty right now till I get back home from College for the summer.

Your completely right, I hope, my 383 280Z should haul past my brother-in-law's 300, that's the goal, and to make it out handle around turns and such. I think that might be that harder part of this project.

JR

Guest Anonymous

There is a web site with info on Rx7 to v8 swaps. I know you have a different car but my point is that this fellow with the rx7 site puts chevy's and Fords in First, Second and Third gen Rx7. I suggest you visit the site it may help you with ideas, specially the third gen swap. He had to custom make his own cross member to make the swap possible. I hope this helps. The site is:

"http://members.tripod.com/~grannys/"

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Hey, another one going after the Z32. Just a note, there is someone that has done this allready. If you go to twinturbo.net and do a search you can find some pictures of the SBC sitting in the Z32. From what I understand he is going to be racing it soon. That is all the information I have found with regards to this but it is a nice fit with room to spare.. icon_eek.gif If you find anything, can you please share it with me? This is my next project, my TT motor is about as built as it's going to get.. icon_smile.gif Thanks. icon_smile.gif

I have spent all dadgum day on unwiring,unbolting acc. and just trying to get the Z32 engine ready to come out. What a pain in the butt.

That engine is so tight in there that there is hardly any room to work. icon_mad.gif

A friend of mine stopped by with his LT1 camaro and I took some rough measurements. icon_sad.gif And it doesn't look to good. I,ll know more once I get the 6 out.

Stan

Guest MegaShaft_2000

Looking under the hood of my 1991 300ZX TT, it appears that a V8 will have enough room, as long as you move the fan shroud, and perhaps take the fan off the engine and go with an electric fan, maybe mounted on the other side of the radiator.

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

^bump^

Heh, I registered just to see if something like this in a 90+ Z is possible because I'd really like to do a project like this someday icon_biggrin.gif. Anyways, any news on it? This looks like it was posted a while ago..