HybridZ

How to make a 220v extension cord

mikesz

• 1 month later...

So wait... There is no ground strap?

I made my own extension cord too for my TIG. Only, I used the actual 220v cable that they sell. It has 4 wires, Red, black, White and a bare copper. Red and Black are power, White is Common and copper ground strap. I think it cost me like $50 to make a 12' cord with a receiver box. I have it wired directly into my breaker box. This gets my TIG anywhere I need it in my garage.

So is it ok to do it without running the bare copper wire?

I would use the ground strap and ground the case of your TIG at least. Miller recommends your table and nearby metal structures as well.

If you're using HF, especially continuously with aluminum, theres a chance you are giving off a lot of radio interference. I've heard stories of people shutting off they're neighborhoods internet access when TIG welding...

Miller has a great guide on their website about grounding their units. For a MIG you'd probably be fine with the 3 wire.

Or ground with a stake near your work like Tony says.

Edited by mario_82_ZXT

A hammer drill, 18" long bit, and a driver is all it takes to access a proper ground rod in the garage floor. It's easier than you would think.

And if you put it in the right place, it comes in handy for all sorts of grounded crap.

I actually have a properly grounded anti-static workbench (thanks JeffP) for about 20 minutes of work. Driving the rod is the biggest pain as I have to drive into Decomposed Granite at about 4 feet... the first 4 are lit butter. That last two feet takes a while! :lol: