HybridZ

WTB: Running 240Z for first project

Guest Anthony

I'm interested in getting into a clean 240Z that I can cut my teeth on for a first project. I've had project cars before, 79 T/A, 67 C10 as well as some late model F-Bodies, one of which (1997 T/A WS6) I'm currently trying to sell to fund this purchase. I don't know much about the S30's, but I'm here researching and I would like pick up something running that I can drive and tinker with before I rip into it and make it the way I want it. It is very important that it runs as I don't want another car that's yard art. Budget for this is going to be < $3000.

Thanks,

Anthony

Being from here its going to be very hard to get into a drivable 240z for that price. especially a clean enough one to not have to weld a ton of aftermarket pieces into (therefore costing you a ton ontop of the car, especially with premade pieces). But there have been a few 280z's in that range but again most are rusty. Mind sharing your plans for the car or if rust is going to be an issue for you? Also would you be interested in something that is already there and you just have to "tinker" to get it running, since i would figure youre going to be opposed to getting a clean shell and just starting your project from the ground up. Let me know as i have a few z's (read, 5-8+) in all different states and know a few people in the area that go through them pretty often and might have a deal come up.

-Jeff

My ultimate plans for the car are to do an LSx/T56 swap, but I'm not going to do that straight away. Rust would be an issue simply because I don't like dealing with it, I would much rather re-wire a whole car than deal with rust :). I've done a little more research and it seems that people actually prefer a 280Z for a V8 swap simply because of the rear end and frame. I'm not terribly concerned with the 240Z name as much as the look. My understanding is that the 280Z is dimensionally the same as a 240Z, but the 280Z has bumpers. Is it as simple as removing the bumpers or are there other body styling cues as well? Thanks for the response and sorry for the slow reply.

• 1 month later...

My ultimate plans for the car are to do an LSx/T56 swap, but I'm not going to do that straight away. Rust would be an issue simply because I don't like dealing with it, I would much rather re-wire a whole car than deal with rust :). I've done a little more research and it seems that people actually prefer a 280Z for a V8 swap simply because of the rear end and frame. I'm not terribly concerned with the 240Z name as much as the look. My understanding is that the 280Z is dimensionally the same as a 240Z, but the 280Z has bumpers. Is it as simple as removing the bumpers or are there other body styling cues as well? Thanks for the response and sorry for the slow reply.

For the most part its the same, the only real key differences that I've noticed are the mounts. I'd suggest picking up a set of stock mounts for the early model thin bumpers and modify them to fit.

Interior has been revised a bit, but it's still an S30. I would second the later S30, they are easier to find running with less rust, and cheaper than their 240Z counterpart. FWIH, in 77 they found a better source of steel for the unitbody.

I found a ZZZAP 280Z (Yellow '77 with decals) for just over $2,000 here. It was "running" and "driving", but had quite a few issues before it was road worthy.

I still have a shell that is amazingly clean/rust free...i also have a perfectly running 280z motor and trans that just got pulled a month or so ago for a v8 swap that can go with it. i have all the parts to put it completely back together and it would literally only take a weekend or two to get it going. not to mention only end up costing you 2k-2500 for a solid rust free running driving 280z, shoot me an email and we can set up a time to come look at it. hell i could even help you out with the install if you need me to.

-Jeff

datsundriver88@hotmail.com

ive still got an early 260 thats got a perfect interior...just needs some fuel/wires run in the engine bay (all stock just rebuilt and needs to be hooked up) all kinds of new parts...the kicker is it needs new floor pans, BUT i have a set from another car i could put in for some extra cash. Just let me know if you are interested.

-Jeff

Datsundriver88@hotmail.com