HybridZ

I have to Laugh...

JSM

I got this car to fix up to possibly give to my son, it's a bone stock 78. I've got her running pretty well that I can tell and yesterday I finished the brakes.

The first trip around the block was pure laughter! Talk about slowwwwwwwwwww....! It reminded me of a diesel. The tires were so bad and seperating I had to go home and swap aonther set.

Anyway, I had another 78 auto awhile back that I don't recall being quite so slow, so maybe I've got some more investigation performance wise.

It is nice to have a running, driving Z at least to play with.

Edited by JSM

It is definitly a blessing, I think. He just turned 16 and just got his permit. He has to wait a full year to get his full time permit, which means he will be 17 when he starts driving on his own.

I'm quite happy I got off for paying $2K for a year!

It is definitly a blessing, I think. He just turned 16 and just got his permit. He has to wait a full year to get his full time permit, which means he will be 17 when he starts driving on his own.

Drivers ED and you'll save some. Definitely better if it's slow until he can pay the insurance himself, when he can easily add another grand to that.

It always boggles my mind when parents give their kids something that is quick, considering the first car may also be the first wrecked car.

Like my dad told me you wreck it and your walking. I stayed on his insurance for along time and payed it myself, because the price break I got saved me so much.

Edited by goodoldjam

Drivers ED and you'll save some. Definitely better if it's slow until he can pay the insurance himself, when he can easily add another grand to that.

It always boggles my mind when parents give their kids something that is quick, considering the first car may also be the first wrecked car.

Like my dad told me you wreck it and your walking. I stayed on his insurance for along time and payed it myself, because the price break I got saved me so much.

His HS doesn't offer Drivers ED. What I think I'm going to do is get it 100% mechanically sound and leave it butt ugly. That way if he wants it to look nice he has to get involved, and then if he wrecks it, which I'm sure he will do, then I don't have lots of time in it.

My parents let me buy my own car when I was 14, I always loved cars and wanted my own I saw a 75' 280z 2+2 for $350 and bought it, almost 4 years later and I'm on my second 2+2 (sold the first, Couldn't fix it and to much rust) and I'm still working on getting it on the road plus I'm not looking forward to having to drive it with the automatic for a while, but my parents decided it would be best if I bought it myself and did it myself (I grew up around mechanics and knew my way around cars) I would respect it more and take more care of it. Hopefully I will have it done this spring or summer so I can finally drive it. I remember the first time I drove my 75 with the automatic, all I noticed was that it drove smooth and I liked the feel of the suspension, I didn't want to chance driving any faster though it had sat for 9 years haha.

That's great. I bought my 240 when I was 17 (wow I've had it for 12 years now!) after I totaled my first car. And my dad was similar, he bought the first car (which was a 4 cylinder mustang), after that is was on me! Oh and after about 5 years of tickets and trouble, I finally calmed down, so slow is good for now.

You do realize you don't have to insure a permitted driver in FL... he should already be covered under your (FL) policy for as long as he's driving on his permit at no additional cost. Only after he gets he license do you have to add him to your policy. I have State Farm and it will be ~$1600./yr to insure/add my son once he gets his license. Check around, if you're paying now (while he is on a learner's permit), you're getting ripped off! :wink:

You do realize you don't have to insure a permitted driver in FL... he should already be covered under your (FL) policy for as long as he's driving on his permit at no additional cost. Only after he gets he license do you have to add him to your policy. I have State Farm and it will be ~$1600./yr to insure/add my son once he gets his license. Check around, if you're paying now (while he is on a learner's permit), you're getting ripped off! :wink:

Correct, I'm not paying anything right now. I was happy that he was lazy and not get his permit at 15 and waited until 16! He's now realizing how nice it would have been to drive at 16, now he's got to wait another year.

I'm hoping at 17 it may be a little cheaper.

Correct, I'm not paying anything right now. I was happy that he was lazy and not get his permit at 15 and waited until 16! He's now realizing how nice it would have been to drive at 16, now he's got to wait another year.

I'm hoping at 17 it may be a little cheaper.

Exact same senario here w/ my son and no, it's not any cheaper waiting the extra year. =/

Driving a slow car does make you laugh. Back when my parents had a 98' Corolla I had lots of fun laughing at it while driving it...that was until I took a corner to fast and totaled it into a fence post. But that turned out to be a good thing because with the lack of a car in the garage I was able to get my Z towed back to the house so I can work on getting it running and then I drove that for about 4-5 months and now it's down because I lost 1st and 2nd in the 4 speed and currently trying to put a 5 speed from a local member here in it but I'm suffering from lack of equipment (my dad got rid of a bunch of stuff when he "cleaned" out the garage.)