HybridZ

Very touchy brakes

Ok, so I finally have my s30 running and upon taking it around the block I found that the brakes a VERY touchy. I press in the pedal and there is some loose travel then once it gets about 1/2 way it feels like I really slammed on the brakes. I never drove the car before so I'm not sure if its always been this way but i did gravity bleed the front brakes today and that did not seem to help. I did replace the master vac as the old one had a vacuum leak but I dont see that making a difference. I have the 4 pot toyota 4x4 calipers and they are right side up (bleeders on top)

Im going to try bleeding the brakes again tomorrow with some help from someone, but does anyone have any other suggestions??

I had the same problem in my 76. changed the booster and that fixed it.

my 240 (with a v8) has very little vacuum, due to a big cam, so I don't run a vacuum line to the booster and it stops ok (pulls down from 135mph in the 1/4 mile). Better no booster than a booster that slams on the brakes. So, unplug the vacuum line to the booster and cap it for now and get another booster when time permits.

Edited by Pyro