HybridZ

BSR GTU E31 Head Images

z-ya

How old is your system? The one I bought appears to be the same as advertised on their website as far as length and injector placement goes. The tubes are pretty long... Unfortunately Kinsler only offers one type of 1 13/16" ID tube and its 6" long and not full radius. Just to make sure everything matches and doesn't look Frankenstein-ish it may be better to just sell the 4 tubes I have and get a full matching set of six. $200 worth of tubes. <_< I think I'll go Frankenstein.

Another thing I'll need to look at is the throttle shaft. She said it turned freely but has no return spring. I'm curious if the shaft is sealed up well after all this time though. Going to guess it uses orings of some sort. I'll check to catalog.

Edited by josh817

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What? Was it on e-bay or something? I haven't been crusing...

<EDIT> One thing I was going to mention, and it goes hand-in-hand with the 'throttle sensitivity' thread elsewhere is that Hillborns RARELY have a 'throttle return spring' as most people know it. Generally they rely totally on overcentered linkages which HEAVILY bias the throttle to the closed position so if a throttle linkage breaks, the ITBs return to idle.

In addition, the springs used in their setups when cable actuated are almost always COMPRESSION SPRINGS. Like the old VW's used---the combination of a compression spring on the cable will PUSH the linkages towards the CLOSED position should the cable break, and the linkages being designed to not go over-center so they want to close naturally is the safest method for setting up the system for failsafe operation.

Generally you won't find tension springs on the ITB section of any Hillborn or mechanical injection setup. It's all compression springs on linkages, maybe the occasional torsional spring on the throttle body itself... but tension springs (unless doubled up and inside each other) are just not used all that much. That was a uniquely American OEM kind of thing and even then most linkages were 'poorly' designed on the centers to close (the Corvair being a notable exception---NO SPRINGS! All linkage weight and angularity to close the throttles!)

Keep that in mind when putting these things in, mechanical is always preferable to 'spring assisted' to move to a given point. If the spring breaks, that is where the ITB's will stay--and that may not be very good with an engine in "N" or with a broken driveshaft.

It's the reason most of these systems also employ Toe-Loops so you can pull the pedal back up physically if something goes wrong. With a strong linkage and no slop, a toe loop is a lifesaver---LITERALLY!

Edited by Tony D