HybridZ

Which Clutch Kit do I get?

mistah mofro

My Z came with a 5 speed trans, and I was wondering do I get the OEM 4 speed kit or the 5 speed clutch kit if there any different from eachother. I was just was wondering because my throw out bearing did itself in and I cant get the bearing by itself so I need the entire assembly apparently. Are the kits different, are the pilot bearing and throw bearing different?

Thanks

There are different throw out bearins. You should be able to get just a throw out bearing from autozone. And what transmission you use does not matter, get the clutch that was made for that year and model.

So I should just grab the clutch kit for the 5 speed tranny, or grab the throw out bearing by itself from autozone.

Since you have to take the transmission off, I would (at a minimum) inspect the existing clutch. It more than likely warrants a replacement - but might still be serviceable.

The clutches for the 4speed and 5speed are the same. The only difference is that the 2+2 and Turbo cars came with a 240mm clutch while the NA came with a 225mm clutch.

The pilot bearing (actually a bushing) is not the same as the throwout bearing. The pilot is in the crankshaft and supports the end of the transmission input shaft.

I recommend you get a copy of the Factory Service Manual (Haynes manual at a minimum). Any year manual should suffice for clutch work. There are only minor (if any) differences between years. You can download the manual from a simple google search. Also, it helps if you let people know teh year and model of the car you have questions about.

Sam

Its a a 73 240Z with an L24 that swapped in about 2 months ago, originally had an l26, i just swapped over the l26 clutch/pressure plate and mounted it to the L24. Thing is I dont know what year the tranny is out of, I'll see what I can dig up on the trans. Does the throw out bearing differ within any years of the 5 speed?