HybridZ

Rb25det install for less than 3k?

Blitz_86

Okay I'm thinking of installing a rb25det into my 240z,I currently have about 2500 to 3k to spend if i was to do all the work myself could it be done for less than 3k.I found a good engine for about 1500 complete and i figure maybe another 1k in things I will have to buy to get the car running or am i cutting it close.What have you guys spent on your engines getting them In.Am a student and it took me a while to save the 2500 but i want the rb in my car any help will be awesome thanks

It all depends on your experience, skill level, and available tooling.

There are some things you can do to save money if you have the know how and ability like making your own engine/trans mounts and oil pan.

The easy answer is, no, you likely can't do an RB install for less than $3k.

Expect to spend $1200+ on an oil pan and mounts alone.

Search through the RB forums and people's build threads to see what people are spending their dollars on, and how many of them they're spending. Most basic swaps come in around the $4-5k mark, if I'm not mistaken.

Take my numbers with a grain of salt, since it's been some time since I did my research on the RB swap. The cool factor is huge, but the $/hp is what turned me off of the swap, since I'm also a student with limited income.

Unless the rest of the car is already built, you might consider doing all the suspension and brake upgrades and continue saving for a proper RB swap. $1500 is scary cheap for a good motor. Cutting corners will likely only end with a non-functioning Z parked in the garage for a couple years. On top of that, running a 250hp motor in a Z with stock suspension and questionable brakes is borderline wreckless...

^^agreed

Take my word for it do small stuff first: steering, suspension, brakes, and elecrtical.

My skill is in midrange which came from experience with working in the industry for 7+ years. I'm still learning things that I didn't acquire from all my training.

I did a L28ET swap into my Z, and that in NO way should have been one of my first investments, as I have come accross issues with brakes, steering, and suspension being not all too efficient. And thats just a L-series motor, granted I may be pushing a few more hp than stock, I did everything ass-backwards.

I've been all about HP and going fast, and completly forgot the basics of modifications and doing them in a logical order.

I recommend start with brakes, suspension, differential, then start moving towards your motor. And when doing so, make a personal checklist validated by someone whose done the exact same swap (ie: rb25det into whatever year your z is). I recommend this because even with all my research, and all of the endless threads on here pertaining to motor swaps, there will be something missed or may have not been included, that you will stumble upon as your doing it.

In either case GL with your Z endevor :)

Edited by Daphur280

Well I think and know that the rb swap CAN be less costly that some people think. If you can fab your own mounts and oil pan and do your own wiring it is possible to do it RIGHT on a limited budget.

I made a set of mounts for my rb for less that 20.00. I bought the steel and made some kickass mounts for Yes 20 bones. It was very easy and look incredible. But I have all the tools need to cut,grind and to weld steel or and other kind of metal.

I have been and will keep making the oil pans for this swap. To help you guys out. My pans start at 250.00 and go up to 600.00 plus.

This swap doesn't have to cost a arm and a leg.

Sure... you're going to want to spend less than $3000... but you're going to use the original timing belt? original water pump? etc... You have to consider the parts involved and labor, intercooler, piping, materials, driveshaft? shipping... etc... you're gonna keep stock rally height on the Z with stock tires, stock brakes, stock everything and safely operate a 240Z with a RB20 or RB25?

Well yes maybe you can get it all installed and running for under $3000 (if you manage your funds very closely)... but would $3000 be enough to safely operate this vehicle and will this old RB20 thats about 20 years old run reliably? maybe... Would I budget $3000 dollars for a RB20 swap to be cool? No.

EDIT: More power to you if you can do it all for under $3000 and it makes you happy... it's not my car and I'm not driving it. Good luck

Edited by 240Z_Master

Man you sure are negative. Let the guy do this swap.

All the parts are getting cheap now. You just have to know where to look

T-belt 41.00

Seals 30.00

Rear main 21.00

Water pump 60.00

Intercooler piping 60-100

Driveshaft 250.00

I can get the rb25 swaps local for 1800.00.

I bet you never driven or rode in a z with a rb20. Don't knock it until you try it. I have had several people act the same way until I take them for a ride.

Edited by pat1

Man you sure are negative. Let the guy do this swap.

All the parts are getting cheap now. You just have to know where to look

T-belt 41.00

Seals 30.00

Rear main 21.00

Water pump 60.00

Intercooler piping 60-100

Driveshaft 250.00

I can get the rb25 swaps local for 1800.00.

I bet you never driven or rode in a z with a rb20. Don't knock it until you try it. I have had several people act the same way until I take them for a ride.

I'm only being negative mainly on the part where $3000 is going to get you something worth while... I have no real problems with RB20's or RB25's or RB26's... All in all parts you mentioned comes out to $2300 which leaves $700 for other stuff... Not including oil pump, material to make mounts (even if this guy can do them... I sure can't)... oil pan plus shipping...

My MAIN point is it can be done for $3000... but you don't have a lot of room left over for much else besides dropping in a motor and having it run... no suspension, brakes... etc... and can this guy do all the work himself including wiring, fabrication? Maybe... but by the questions he's been asking I highly doubt it...

The question in this thread is can it be done for $3000? Yes... Can it be done reliably within budget? I highly doubt it which is my main point... like I said in previous posts... if the guy wants to do it.. more power to do so... I'm just trying to give a reality check with what $3000 can get you if you want to do a RB swap... RB20 or RB25 it's not much

Also... yes... RB20's are going to be roughly 20 year old motors... there are maintenance things that need to be done to make it reliable.

Edited by 240Z_Master

Well i have done all the susmpetion work,struts,springs,sway bars,strut bars,quicker steering knuckles,new brakes,lines pads,calipers,drums,so i figure the next upgrade would be the engine wouldnt it?

Sorry I missed this whole post entirely... I feel a little better about the $3000 budget now.

$3k will be cutting it really close, but finding another $1k to finish it (if necessary) wouldnt be too difficult. Check over that $1500 RB with a fine tooth comb before you commit to buying it. If possible, have somebody familiar with RBs look it over. Do a DRY compression test and look under the valve covers at a minimum...