HybridZ

Clutch Slave leaking

Quetzalcoatl71Z

So in the process of buying this 71 Z, I have been driving it about once a week... When I went to go actually pick it up, the clutch pedal had no resistance to it when depressed. The car still started, but I could not put it in gear. Upon some further inspection we found out that the slave cyl (the one on the side of the trans) is leaking, and that the main reservoir was completely empty. We put fluid in the top and opened the bleeder screw/valve at the slave, but could not get the fluid to go down form the top to the slave. I figure replacing the slave is a must anyways, but will it fix my problem?

Also, my tranny is a 5 speed supposedly from a 260Z. And the engine is a rebuilt 260 engine as well. Just to make sure I got all the info someone may need to help. I am going ahead and replacing the slave asap, but until then, any info would be much appreciated about maybe why the fluid wont go down form the master to the clutch slave? (maybe because the slave is blown and cant work the fluid?). Thanks again! This is going to be an ongoing project for about the next 3 to 4 years.

Check your master cylinder also. The two tend to go bad around the same time.

Also, if you adjusted the pedal while working on it, you might have it too tight. The master cylinder piston has to retract completely to let fluid in to the lines.

There are a ton of posts on the various forums about master, slave, "clutch won't work", if you want to get more viewpoints.

Ya, I think me and a buddy are gona change the master, the lines, AND the broken slave. Thanks to the replies. i always search, but felt I still needed to ask. I have some 5 speed trans in my 71 Z. It's supposedly a 260 trans and engine... would I need a different slave (due to maybe different bolt patter for mounting)? The new lines are gona be pretty sweet.

From what I am reading just on the S30 wiki is that the 5 speed trans didn't come out until the 280Z (not ZX) days. So about 1977. So I guess my 71 240Z has the 5 speed trans in there, not a 4 speed. The trans is manual too btw. Now I am unsure of the engine, is it from a 280 or 260, or 240z? Does that 5 speed match up to any of those three engines, 2.4 2.6 2.8L respectively? I need to order these parts, so I think I will order the slave for the 280z 5-speed trans since I am unsure if the 240Z one will bolt onto the side of the trans correctly due to possible different bolt patterns.