HybridZ

Jets not returning to normal position.

Whenever I try to use my choke, the jets get stuck down every time and I have to go push them back up. i have tweaked with the arms and they seem to be clearing everything.. I have ran out of options to what I think is wrong. Suggestions?

Whenever I try to use my choke, the jets get stuck down every time and I have to go push them back up. i have tweaked with the arms and they seem to be clearing everything.. I have ran out of options to what I think is wrong. Suggestions?

Is it just 1 jet or both? Have you taken your carbs apart recently and put them back together?

When I had SU's, I went to the hardware store and purchased myself two tiny, long springs, and hooked them to the Phillips head screw holding the jet nozzle, then pulled them up and attached the other end some where above to have tension when choke lever is pulled.

Iit should spring them back up all the way. Just play with that till you get it adjusted right.... it will work!!!

When I had SU's, I went to the hardware store and purchased myself two tiny, long springs, and hooked them to the Phillips head screw holding the jet nozzle, then pulled them up and attached the other end some where above to have tension when choke lever is pulled.

Iit should spring them back up all the way. Just play with that till you get it adjusted right.... it will work!!!

I recently had the same issue after a su carb rebuild. I ended up using gun and choke cleaner that I use for cleaning firearms and a bore brush and the difference was amazing. Just carb cleaner leaves things a little dry almost like sand paper it feels like to the touch.

I recently had the same issue after a su carb rebuild. I ended up using gun and choke cleaner that I use for cleaning firearms and a bore brush and the difference was amazing. Just carb cleaner leaves things a little dry almost like sand paper it feels like to the touch.

Agreed!! That is the best/correct way to loosen them back up. But, if you want a quick fix, w/o pulling the carbs, try the spring method... :2thumbs:

Yes i have. We did a carb clean on each one. Both seem to get stuck but the rear is worse than the front.

Lift the piston up with your finger and let it drop( with out air cleaner on ) Does it drop to the bottom by itself? If not loosen the top of dome 3 or 4 screws. Pull piston out with needle. Check to make sure the needle did not get bent or caked up with gunk. There is a certain amount of slop in the dome when reassembling. You will have to play around with this to get the piston and needle not to bind. As stated from others make sure you get the soot and such off the sliding surfaces. If you get the piston dropping to the bottom smoothly and the jets still stick try twisting the jets a little clockwise or counter clockwise where the linkage attaches to the jet. It may take a couples tries. I just went through this process when I switched over to 72 SUs on my 260. Try this web site www.ztherapy.com. They have a video for overhauling SUs. You have to call to order though. I was able to overhaul and set-up these carbs with minimal cursing following the video. Hope this helps.

Did you use the proper fuel feed hose that doesn't put a humongo side-load on the jets cocking them and making them stick. EVERY one I have seen where they used conventional 1/4 or 3/16" fuel hose has a binding problem.

There should be no issue requiring springs to return the jets all the way up. If they don't go there, there is something rubbing, sticking, or gummed up.

But as I said, using the wrong fuel hose will do it almost every time unless you trimmed the hose and fit it VERY carefully. Same goes for the clamps as well, I have successfully used high temp wire ties in place to the stock wire bails on the proper hoses, but using wormgear screw clamps seems to do something that makes them twist and not want to seat correctly.

I'd pull em back off, and go over them CAREFULLY (the bore cleaning brush is an excellent idea!) As long as the linkages are all straight, not binding, and everything is free and clear they should pretty much drop in themselves when inverted as well.

Good Luck.