HybridZ

Bad welder purchase?

AkumaNoZeta

A friend of mine pressured me into buying a Chicago Electric Easy Mig 110 flux-core welder for $25. I'm wondering if this would be suitable for putting in Bad Dog frame rails and connectors with Zedd Finding floor pans or if I should not even try and save up money for a gas MIG?

If it is the cheapest of the HF welders, I don't think it has provisions to add gas, and therefore would be inappropriate to use on sheet metal - unless you are and expert and LIKE hassles. If you are just a part-time welder, then there is almost no chance of doing a good job with it.

You need to learn not to pay attention to "your friend", who had you waste your money without knowing what he was talking about.

Honestly, with all the posts in this forum about welders, I am surprised that you went ahead and bought it.

If you didn't research before the purchase, then don't blame the waste on your friend.

I mainly bought it for him because he thinks he can use it for his mini-bike project, he's supposed to give me the money back when tax returns come in. $25 isn't really anything for me but he's in bad financial situations (hard for him to keep a job) so $25 is a lot for him. I was already saving up my money for a Lincoln 225 TIG, I just wanted to ask about this certain one first because if it was workable then I could have used the Lincoln money for a jump start on my Z project.

Edited by Grim

I mainly bought it for him because he thinks he can use it for his mini-bike project, he's supposed to give me the money back when tax returns come in. $25 isn't really anything for me but he's in bad financial situations (hard for him to keep a job) so $25 is a lot for him. I was already saving up my money for a Lincoln 225 TIG, I just wanted to ask about this certain one first because if it was workable then I could have used the Lincoln money for a jump start on my Z project.

If anything its worth $25 as scrap with all the copper inside.

The welder has worked for tacking things together on the mini-bike so far. It pretty cool looking, I've never seen anything like it. It looks like a miniature cafe' racer. We still need to find a back wheel to match the front and until we can do that, we're pretty much stuck.

If it welds at all it is worth $25. I used a borrowed Cheap Mig Welder when I did my convertible conversion. It had gas added an would weld great one time and bad the next. But it was very used and beat up. For your purchase price you will not loose your money.

You're going to need something a lot bigger, and with gas. Especially with the difference in thickness between the different metals. Welding the Bad Dog to Zed pans isn't that bad, but when you go to weld the Bad Dog to the original metal, you are going to have some serious problems blowing straight through the original metal, and it's going to be a complete mess, even if you manage some control.

You don't necessarily need an expensive MIG, I did the project with a cheap old 110V "Migmate", but with gas. I had to practice a LOT with the different welds, upside down, and between different metals, joining different ways... I would suggest you do the same. Even after I got comfortable, I ended up going back over most of the welds again using a different stitch pattern to try to get more coverage to connect the metals better. If you use flux core, you are going to bust straight through the thin metal and leave splatter everywhere. It's going to look like you popcorn-ceiling'd your car.

I have the same welder. I have a Stick/Arc welder but it wasnt working out on the thin metal of my Z. I watched someone using the cheapest HF welder to shave handles on a truck. It worked out perfect so I bought one myself for $85.00. I have used it on body panels also for filling in holes and it works great. Of course its not the greatest welder I have ever used and I personally wouldnt trust it on framerails as I dont believe it penetraits enough. As for small body/panel work, its a great tool to have and well worth the $25.00 you spent.