HybridZ

So much to choose from?! can dome one help.

makaofox

Well I currently own a 91 300zx TT and I love Z's till no end!But my true dream build is a 240z or 280z. Now as the topic states there is SO many choices on motors and setups on the s30 its insane. My main goal is to stay a nissan motor Ive researched the rb series although it is unique dont want to drop 15k on some that another motor will achieve. my goal is pretty much 350-400RWHP mainly cruising but some track events no drag stip though. With all that being said I was looking and leaning mostly towards the vg30et. The z31 is VERY undermined and gets NO type of love now having an understanding with the vg30de and the tt there big heavy and no space to work with in the z32 engine bay and in the s30 I can only image it will be slightly more room. The reason I lean towards a vg30et is for the simplicity on adding a few small mods and boom 300rwhp. I have studied the alternator and the turbo placement issues but a plus is the trans can fit in with no fabbing. Now the other choice was a vq35de but ive searched very little but sees to be a rock solid motor im very firmiliar with it but not in the s30. Can anyone help out? maybe a price towards both motors and pros and cons ive searched but hard when alot of pics are no longer in use :( thank :)

Thanks that was some great Info! I dont know If I still want to go with the vq both cons on bothe the vq35de and the vg30et is the steering rack is in the way, but with the vg Its only the altornator that needs to be relocated or made a custom fab the the turbo needs to either be relocated or fabbed while the vq you wont have ac and relocated the shifter. I Like the vq build thanks.

Yeah, Well other things to consider. The VG is an old motor. you won't find one with low miles, it's a lot heavier too, so 300HP w/ mods and more weight vs 300HP stock and lighter. Seems like an easy choice to me. Not to mention the VQ's are in a ton of vehicles (350/370z, G35's, Pathfinders etc.) So support is as easy as the parts are to find.

As with any swap though, I can't emphasize enough, If you want to do a swap, really you should be looking at buying a while front clip, or complete wreaked donor since rarely will you have all the parts you need up front. So it's easier to have the parts and systems in place that you can then move over from the donor to your car. You'll also have a good supply of the bolts and such that you would otherwise have to scavenge. A lot of engines require more than just the ECU/engine harness (eg. VQ35 req: +BCM & Body harness/NATS)

The cost is why I went VQ, it's cheaper than RB, and has more potential. VQ35's are availible on Ebay for ~1000 vs 2500 for RB. (but that's just engine/ecu/engine harness no tranny etc) Though as with any engine, it's best to hear it run and check it out before you buy it. I know that's not always possible, but with a donor car it often is.

You will not reach your posted horsepower goal with an NA VQ35DE or HR motor. Not even close. MUCH easier and cheaper to get those horsepower numbers out of the VG30ET.

You can throw every bolt on known to man at the VQ35 motors and it barely does anything. It has proven time and time again. Those motors flow so well in stock form that their power potential without forced induction is almost maxed out.

Average numbers are around 230-260 RWHP with bolt ons and custom tune.

Edited by mxgsfmdpx

That is one reason I looked at the VQ it is a more modern engine and parts are Everywhere but what I want out of it its just not going to get me there. Although a donor car is the best bet for a vq swap however the vg I actually intend on building the motor just to have peace of mind such as pistons, rods, ported and polished and bored not sure how much yet but Ive seen vgs basically an entire car for 2k So the engine and all needed parts are fairly cheap and parts arent expensive or that hard to find. I agree the vq is lighter but the vg will get me to that 350-400 range I desire at a cheaper cost. The purpose would be mainly just cruising but also for some track events researching on here the s30 pretty much has endless possibilities. I for sure know I dont want the LS1 swap Ive seen it done and its awesome but I rather stick to nissan. with the vg what are common problems to it? I know the vq has is a stout engine but it has weak rods i think? which is why 400rwhp is as safe as you can get with FI.

Just of interest a mate of mine has a VQ30DET in an S13, it made 430rwhp @ 16psi, stock motor except for computer, manifolds, injectors and turbo, it will make 500+ on 20-22psi once he sorts the sparkplugs out. Maybe something to consider if you guys can find them over there?

WHOA that's some serious power in a light weight chasis. But that's what I'm aiming for the vg is a very strong motor with minimal mods.and searching some more I've found a moved turbo towards the ac compressor which would help in the s30 and only the altornator would need a mount or brace.piping for the intercooler would be what I'm searching next. I think I'm going to stick to the vg :)

Just of interest a mate of mine has a VQ30DET in an S13, it made 430rwhp @ 16psi, stock motor except for computer, manifolds, injectors and turbo, it will make 500+ on 20-22psi once he sorts the sparkplugs out. Maybe something to consider if you guys can find them over there?

22 psi on a stock VQ30DET? Tell your friend to calm down or build the motor, that thing is gonna go boom VERY soon.

Edited by mxgsfmdpx

Don't forget about Nissan's newest motor either VQ37VHR. People are getting serious power out of these things, and actually respond well to bolt ons unlike the DE and HR motors. Probably too pricey but you could be close to reaching your power goals with bolts ons and a tune with this motor. Just another to add to your "so much to choose from" lol. Have fun!

^ Lol just made it That much harder to choose from -__- Lol but thanks ive actually considered that but had no clue if it would fit and I would imagine the only way to get one is through a wrecked donor car since there still new. Hell If they fit I would put in the VR38DETT ;)

the VQ38DETT from the GTR would certainly fit. It's the same size as the VQ37/VQ35HR. The cost is WAY WAY up there though. I don't know what that guy was talking about, there's tons of 350Z's out there in the 350-400 HP range BECAUSE they flow so well. Yes you'd need to look into forced induction, but that's what you were thinking with the VG anyway. It is not cheap to do on the VQ engines mainly because they're newer and didn't come stock with a turbo version (yet). But 300 HP stock is nothing to sneeze at in an S30 so I still vote for VQ. (and it's what I'm working on)

Oh and the VQ engines have been in the top 10 quality engines list for the past 10 years

It's your $ though so it's your decision.

Phar

Edited by Pharaohabq

Right, I know the 3 liter and 2.5's have been turbo's for some time, but there's no stock turbos for the VQ35 as far as I've seen. I heard the Pathfinders have a Supercharger, but I think that's still on the 3.0 liter engine.

The VQ35HR and VQ37HR are built very strong ladder frame blocks. The stock rods I don't know how much they can take, but I've heard 400HP is supposed to be common. Should probably call Stillen or DTE or some other after market company to see what they'd suggest. Stillen has a Supercharger kit for the VQ37 that's supposed to rate 515HP. Little upgrades like tuning maps, exhaust and alum flywheel can add up to a lot, getting you to almost 400HP w/o FI. Turbos are supposed to add almost 100HP too.

As with any motor swap, you'll probably want an as complete as possible donor to swap from. Usually that means a wreaked car, but really once you know what parts you want/need you can get a prett complete deal. It's just nice to have everything to start with instead of tracking down parts.

The VG30DET, Well I don't know that much about them other than that you can swap in a Maxima crank to get the Forged crank - cheaply. The rest of the internals you might need to pay some clams for. I don't know too much aside from that on building a VG30 up. One thing you should look at though is your budget. The VG is going to be much cheaper pretty much across the board, to get you to the 400-500HP range. I agree the VG30ET has monster potenial, but there's cost too. I really think the VQ is a better motor, but what you want and your budget is what's important.

Phar