HybridZ

Online Buyer Scam-Be Careful!

Dnaught14

Hey guys,

In my spare time I operate a small recording studio, and with so many technology changes over short periods of time I end up buying and selling gear online all the time. In the last six months it seems every online posting I make for equipment for sale gets responses from scam artists. One of my favorite things about being a member of this site is that there is a definite sense of community, and people know each other a little better than other forums with hot shots bragging about their new neon interior lights and splash graphic stickers on their gigantic spoiler(good for an easy 50 hp).

Anyhow,

This is a good article I found that fits with the scam I get offered up pretty regularly. Hopefully, it doesn't show up in our classifieds section, but if it does at least we should be aware of it.

here is the link:

http://www.used-car-advisor.com/car-buyer-scam.htm

Happy building, driving, racing, and spending, spending, spending.

Common sense goes a LOOOONG way to being protected.  I got burned once because the (legit BBB) business I had ordered parts from, filed for bankruptcy after I paid for the stuff with my credit card. They never shipped the stuff.  Once the bankruptcy courts settled, I got my money back.  Cash is king, before you accept checks for payment, call their bank to confirm existence of funds.  They can tell you yes, or no. NEVER hand over the goods to a stranger until you have the payment in your possession, not just a promise of payment.  If the buyer or seller does not come to agreement with your reasonable terms, move on.  Another thing, don't buy anything for what it could be worth.   Buy it for what it's worth in its current state.  For example the guy recently selling a car on ebay, with promises to finish it for you, after you pay him for it.  NOT!!!

Edited by cygnusx1

Uh... cygnus, you DO realize the BBB takes money from it's members, right? Pay the fee and you get good ratings. People not with the BBB who get a complaint get a hard-sell from the BBB worse than time-share salesmen to join and pay the fees and then get their issue 'resolved' and get a good rating!

The "Legit" BBB is somewhat corrupt in this respect. I thought everybody knew how they worked! Apparently not! :huh:

Well, this was about ten years ago.  I realize now that the BBB and Zagat ratings are pretty much BS at this point.  My point was that the business was not an ebay "paper" business, it was brick and mortar, I should have been more specific.  Don't even get me started on Consumer Reports...

http://www.bbb.org/u...-Accreditation/

There is also a Customer Complaint History section for each listed business.

Edited by cygnusx1