HybridZ

Marker Light Dimensions???

inZane 240

The lens hole itself measures 3 1/4" wide by 1 7/16 high. Note that there's a 3/8" cutout on each side to fit the retaining clip, and this cutout might stick out farther than the weatherstripping on the new lens.

lenshole.jpg

I think the clear lenses look good, especially on a dark colored car, but you might give the cops one less reason to pull you over if you choose DOT approved lenses. I pulled mine off a mid eighties Hyundai Excel. They're much less clunky than the original lenses, they fit in the original hole (requiring only one additional hole to be drilled, as seen above) and because they came out of a junkyard, they were DIRT CHEAP! They also have stainless steel screws, as an added bonus. Might not be your cup of tea, I just thought I'd suggest them on a lark.

lenses.jpg

Originally posted by ZCarNut:

Why even use the side marker lights? They are there only because of DOT regulations.....

IMHO, I think removing these and filling the holes flush would smooth out out the body lines on the early Z cars.

There are some DOT regs that I balk at, but I think having the ability to signal your lane-changing intention to the drivers nearby you is important. Personally, I think it's a smart idea to retain them. Besides, I've seen them filled in, and I think the front end loses some of its visual interest. But then, the car I remember them on had the door handles, locks, and drip rails shaved, and had the fender seams and vent holes filled in too. Made the car look like a featureless bar of soap. Not my cup of tea, but if you like it, then full steam ahead.