HybridZ

Cutting Sheet Metal with a Dremel tool

Guest jdllaugh

Guest jdllaugh

Anybody used a Dremel to cut 18-gauge sheet metal? I'm curious if their little cutoff wheels will actually cut metal that thick? :confused:

I've been using my 4 1/2 inch angle grinder with a cutoff wheel to cut up my rusty floors, but it would be nice to have something to do finer cuts in tight quarters.

I've actually cut through a 1 1/8" crankshaft with one before. It took about 6 cutting wheels. The hardest part was keeping the cut on the same plan as the disc. Once you start to get in a bind, kiss the wheel good bye. They shatter very easily. Eye protection is a must.

Yeah, a dremel will work. But a better way to do it is to invest $30 in a cheap pawn shop die grinder. When the cutoff wheel begins to wear down, take it off and save it for tight cuts. Doing stuff like that with a Dremel isn't easy, since the disks shatter so easy. Of course, I guess you could use a reinforced fiberglass disk instead of the cheap oxide disks. It would cost more, but last a LOT longer.

In any case, be careful. I've got a few friends who swear that Dremels bite them more than any other tool they own. Maybe they just pack too much power in too small a package to control easily, I dunno.

I agree with Scott on this one - get a grinder. I just chopped the top on my '78 280 about 2 weeks ago and cut out the wheel wells. So I have a little recent experience.

I used a combination of:

1. Rotozip with cutoff wheel

2. 24V Bosch cordless Sawzall with numerous blades

3. $19 grinder from Harbor Freight with the 4.5" cutoff wheels.

Although I really liked the feel of the sawzall - it ate blades and would "bounce" the metal in areas where there was open space - thereby limiting its usefulness.

The rotozip would bite and just about tear my arm off - not to mention those tiny wheels just didn't last (I think it took about 4 wheels to make it 1/3 of the way around the wheel well:bonk:

The grinder is still going strong - I killed 6 wheels but with a 10 pack going for about $11 - What a deal.

My vote - grinder. And it was a whole kit for $19 - sanding pads, cutoff wheel, wire brush, etc.

Just my $.02 and my experience.

Teo