HybridZ

water pump gasket

ZT-R

Sealant

seriously???? what the heck man, poor advice. stop by the parts house and pick up a 1.99 gasket for gods sake. get the right gasket nissan part number 21014-21000, http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsuns30/DatsunFairladyZIndex/Engine240Z260Z/WaterPumpFan/tabid/1591/Default.aspx

might be the same as L20B, or you could take pats advice and gum up your coolant passages with rtv!!! hooray!!!

Edited by Braden

lots of pumps are sealant type, according to fast it is, i do perfer a gasket when applicable though, thanks for the part number. is that common on a US model?

edit: oh i followed you link, but thats to a stock motor.. im running a rb26dett :P

Edited by boostedh23a1

seriously???? what the heck man, poor advice. stop by the parts house and pick up a 1.99 gasket for gods sake. get the right gasket nissan part number 21014-21000, http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsuns30/DatsunFairladyZIndex/Engine240Z260Z/WaterPumpFan/tabid/1591/Default.aspx

might be the same as L20B, or you could take pats advice and gum up your coolant passages with rtv!!! hooray!!!

Your the man. Tell us how it's done.Maybe for a L motor not a rb26

For what it's worth Nissan has been using sealant for water pumps for years.

RTV isn't the sealant I'm taking about. RTV is the shadetree sealant it's crap.Use a good quality sealant and you won't have anything to worry about.

Edited by pat1

By the way, Great 1st post.

Edited by pat1

ok well i can see the confusion here, one could assume that when your talking z cars and the "26" more common than not its an L26. and gorilla snot is RTV, if you mean some other type of sealer such as kawasaki bond, threebond or any other casehalve sealant you should probably specify so if your going to give advice, you wouldnt want your friends using "gorilla snot" on a high dollar imported engine now would you? just because nissan uses sealant for water pumps doesnt mean its the best thing to use, after all i think we can all agree that the quality of todays vehicles has been declining steadily over the last 30 years or so. Just because nissan uses a bonding adhesive to put their pumps on doesnt mean itmakes servicingthe water pump user friendly, it just means they have a robot installing a water pump vs a japanese man that woudl have installed the l26 water pump with a GASKET back in the day. so you tell him, goop, your mysterious "other sealant", or a gasket. if you guess the right ansswer maybe we will pat you on the back PAT, or we could give you a gold star!!!

By the way, using the term "26" in a post in the RB forum, means RB26. Not L20/ L26 ..... :icon56:

i didnt want to be the one to say it....

btw how did you change your user name? i wanna do it...

this is still a honda motor name lol ahh the good ol days 15 years ago

The R33 FSM (Factory Service Manual for R33 generation RB series motors) shows using Nissan liquid gasket for the Waterpump. I will be putting a new waterpump back on my RB25det soon and had not planned to deviate from the FSM. My gasket kit did include a tube of Nissan liquid gasket. Not sure what the stand alone price is, but probably worth it. Is it worth standing line at your local Nissan dealership while the peria try to auction off the vehicle you drove in with and sell you a new Nissan, maybe not, thus the miracle of the internet and PayPal.

Bonk's 2cents