HybridZ

l28et Starts, runs, but dies/cuts out soon as throttle is applied

I tried looking up in search for this issue as I saw a similar thread about a year ago but did not come up with results, so perhaps someone who knows of the thread or hopefully the issue, can point me in the right direction.

engine: I/C'ed L28et

Problem: car starts up w/o problem, however soon as I give it any amount of gas, it begins to cut out like its not getting fuel, but I checked the pressure and it is getting 36-40psi at the fuel rail.

if he did a maf and z31 ecu conversion there is no flap to move or do anything else. If he has an afm and a z31 ecu it aint' gonna work bubba. You need to recheck what you have done and ascertain if the sensors are providing the proper information to the ecu. are all your connectors clean and free of corrosion. is your battery any good. are your battery cables any good. doesn't take much in the way of low voltage to give a Z a lot gremlins.

Edited by roger.svoboda

Does the flap in the Afm move freely assuming you still have stock electronics. Don't know how far you are on the z31 ecu swap.

As far as movement it seems to move regularly, however I've noticed with adjustments to richen and lean the mixture the result is typically the same once I have a "stable" mixture which is: lean @ from idle>2k rpms; rich @ 2k-5k rpms; and leans out @5k+rpms.

I am using the stock AFM and ECU however neither are from the car from which I pulled the motor from, and the AFM was messed with prior to installation, but this has not prohibited it from running before.

Additionally I have a KA24E Throttlebody with TPS.

As far as the z31 swap, I'm no where I'm still searching for all of the wiring since I am missing the wiring for the IGN module. So the z31 stuff doesn't apply to any of this.

if he did a maf and z31 ecu conversion there is no flap to move or do anything else. If he has an afm and a z31 ecu it aint' gonna work bubba. You need to recheck what you have done and ascertain if the sensors are providing the proper information to the ecu. are all your connectors clean and free of corrosion. is your battery any good. are your battery cables any good. doesn't take much in the way of low voltage to give a Z a lot gremlins.

My voltage appears to be fine, the only thing I've noticed is it (my idle) stabilizes after the car reaches operating temp, I do not have a cold start valve installed which I think contributes...

Edited by Daphur280

So did this happen out of the blue or did it always do this? Could be the ka tps as the L tps is a throttle position switch not a sensor. Also if the harness is a 81 with a resistor pack and you're using an 82-83 ecu with resistors built in, it could cause problems.

Edited by loy

Running into the exact same problem. L28ET swap in a 71 240z. Replaced almost everything fuel related (rotor, cap, plugs/wires, fuel pump, injectors). It lets me rev up the car slowly, but dies out with anything more than that. Everything is essentially stock, save a pop off valve and intercooler. Any ideas besides AFM. Strangely enough, the car doesn't immediately die when I pull the TPS sensor, but from what I've read, bad TPS symptoms are different from this.

So did this happen out of the blue or did it always do this? Could be the ka tps as the L tps is a throttle position switch not a sensor. Also if the harness is a 81 with a resistor pack and you're using an 82-83 ecu with resistors built in, it could cause problems.

Yes it was out of the blue, car was running "ok" turned it off, came back 1.5 hours later, problem began. I've adjusted the AFM a little bit to the point that it will run, barely idle, and barely drive, but soon as I give it anything more than feathering the gas, it cuts out or leans out.

Everything is from an 83zxt

Not sure if this was mentioned earlier, but I have a KA Throttle Body, hence the KA or VG TPS, I just picked up a L TPS and discovered that the mounting slots are wider than the KA/VG so I will not be able to use the "stock" original L28 TPS with my TB...

Not sure what to do next either

Edited by Daphur280