HybridZ

pertronics igniter wiring

Bangkok Z

O.k so I had a Pertronics igniter put on my 240z without the dash or gauges in the car and it fired up fine a few months back but when i reinstalled the dash back in with the stock gauges hooked up i notice it wont start (no spark)but cranks. But when i unplugged the speedo wiring connectors behind the dash(where harness connects to speedo) it fires right up.Anyone running a pertronics igniter can help with wiring or problem? Its a 70 240Z and i am running a ballast resister with the pertronic with a after market coil. Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmmmm. Ignition runs through the Tach. You might re-seat your tach wires and see if that fixes the problem.

The wire on COIL+ is directly connected to the TACH. The actual IGNITION+ runs to the ballast resistor. The green wire on the resistor runs back to the TACH and out the other side to the coil+.

The factory uses a hot coil to allow a strong spark for starting and then the ballast resistor dials it back when running. Your new coil may not need a ballast resistor. In that case you want to connect the two ballast wires/bypass the resistor.

The most basic view of the ignition wires is here. That is 44 FEET of wire in total.

Ignitioncircuitstock.jpg

Edited by bjhines

Hmmmmmm. Ignition runs through the Tach. You might re-seat your tach wires and see if that fixes the problem.

K will try that and see if it works. But for some reason I think I have the wiring hooked up wrong at the coil and resistor but again it starts and runs fine until I hook up the tach.Really confused. Thanks will let you know.

• 2 weeks later...