HybridZ

Looking for a Z!

Roy C

Hey guys first post,

I've been looking around for a first car and I stumbled upon this 1973 240z. I know it needs some work but what do you guys think. Is it worth the price, would it be fairly easy to find a dash for it, etc etc? Anything I should look out for specifically other than the obvious?

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/2043807865.html

Thanks in advance,

Roy

Looks like a project car, if you have the funds then you might be able to get it going, These cars are great cars, just keep in mind its forty years old its gonna take and need a lot of work. Guys on here are very helpful too

Take a good look at it, if it's close to rust free it's a good deal! Also check it for damages, such as chrashes, bad repairs etc, it's 40 years old and you never know what the previous owners have done to it... It's no fun to have a car that leaves 4 wheel marks out of a wet pit when going straight! These cars are easy to work on and the spares are easy to find. Dash etc are easy to get hold on through a part out car here on the forum (and other places as well). Their only major downside is the rust problem, check everything and everywhere so you now what you're buying...

Edited by HaaJeHaa

Yeah, looking closely at the pictures, this car has been given some work on it. Looks like some patches have been placed on the floor boards, and the side markers and rear have been shaved, but how well. When a car has been setup for race like this, you've got to wonder what it's been through. You really need to look underneath and see what the underside looks like. Setting it up like this doesn't mean he spent a lot of time worried about the looks, it might have just been welded in safety stuff, but nothing to really hold it together.

Read all about Rust on here and the common places you can find it. (there's probably 30+ threads on rust on here) Fixing someone's half-as.. er baked I mean, job is a lot of work. more than if you were fixing one yourself. for the first time.

$2K sounds like a lot to me but who knows, you could probably talk him down. Offer $1000 and settle on $1500. Not to mention If it's been raced, what condition is the engine really in?

Yeah, looking closely at the pictures, this car has been given some work on it. Looks like some patches have been placed on the floor boards, and the side markers and rear have been shaved, but how well. When a car has been setup for race like this, you've got to wonder what it's been through. You really need to look underneath and see what the underside looks like. Setting it up like this doesn't mean he spent a lot of time worried about the looks, it might have just been welded in safety stuff, but nothing to really hold it together.

Read all about Rust on here and the common places you can find it. (there's probably 30+ threads on rust on here) Fixing someone's half-as.. er baked I mean, job is a lot of work. more than if you were fixing one yourself. for the first time.

$2K sounds like a lot to me but who knows, you could probably talk him down. Offer $1000 and settle on $1500. Not to mention If it's been raced, what condition is the engine really in?

Are you looking at the correct car???? That's my Z for sale. http://forums.hybrid...o-motor-tranny/ Maybe if you're talking about a different car then ignore my comments below

I have edited my comments since I realized you're talking about 2 different cars

Edited by kjones

Yes two completely different cars, Yours is really much nicer, and in much better condition than the one I was talking about that he's posted about up in post #1 of this thread. Thank you for rempoving your disparaging remarks.

In that car's photos # Photo0535.jpg clearly shows weldiong on the floorpan, not to mention that larg amount of missing parts, rollbar and hacked up wiring. This alone is a big warning sign.

Photos # 0536 and 0538 both show the rear quarter markers, and rear lower section shaved (and cracking out, signifyling to me poor workmanship, or body torque.) not to mention odd paint hue and finsh change between the hatch and body, meaning to me, possible hatch replacement for rust? Seeing the floorpan patch, I would believe rust.

#0539 shows missing cowel, funky mirror mounting, missing wiper assy.

None of these are deal breakers in themselves, but certainly the missing parts alone should ask for a discount, if not warrant keeping looking. I have saved these pictures and will post if need be for explanation.

Phar