HybridZ

VG30DE (Z32NA) PS Pump Rebuild

Pharaohabq

Well my PS pump had been leaking, (could have been the 20 yr old hoses leading to it) so this weekend I took a break from the VQ build and pulled out my Z32 PS pump to rebuild w/ the $19 gasket kit. (New pump is $130+)

I pulled it out, Messy operation, oily **** everywhere. But finally got it out. Learned the tensioner should not be taken apart, only loosened, then un bolted. The HP line was on so tight I had to get the impact wrench to pull it loose. Once it was out. the rebuild was pretty simple. Sorry I didn't take any picts. But I was amazed at the precision and elegance at which that pump was made. very nice.. The Seals were all easy to replace except the outer seal which infortunately is difficult to put in properly and could be a possible issue. I may need to tear down the pump again if that seal didn't seal properly, as I had trouble getting the parts in due to the tight fit.

I reinstalled the pump after cleaning everything and refilled the reservoirs the steering seems okay, though the engine was making a sort of gurgling sound, which I attribute to the radiator fluid. When I disconnected the rad hoses I am sure I let a lot of air into the system. I'll watch my levels for a few days.

Any comments about it let me know.

Phar