HybridZ

How to prevent rust on stripped metal for a long time?

Guycali

As for most of us, we only have time to work on the Z on weekends. That means, we'd need to protect the bare metal from rusting after we strip off the paint, tar, whatever for months or years before completing the restoration. I know Metal Ready from POR-15 etches the metal and coats it with a layer of zinc phosphate. But how long does it last to offer good enough protection against rust? Having the shell primered for a long time isn't that great of an idea either since the primer is porous and moisture can get in to cause rust as well. Is there any other good way to keep it at bare metal while one completes what is necessary to go into the chassis and body, when we know for sure that the entire body work can last for a long time?

The pic below shows a full weld-in cage and seems like the Z has been stripped out of its paint completely. I wonder how long has it been sitting naked?

attachment.php?s=&postid=18001

Thanks,

Guycali

• 4 years later...

i wanna see the cage but it doesnt work.... also if u self etch prime it, do u have to put epoxy primer over it? i guess so... at that point i guess i need to know if im doing expoxy paint or enamel right... the primer works with the paint