HybridZ

Update on 240Z restoration

Yeah that front end graft came out great!  Probably stronger than stock too.  The muffler I used is the from the premium 2.5" set from MSA.  It's a Dynomax center in-side out muffler and it does not look like it would fit up in the quarter panel cheek space, but it does if you tilt it at about a 20 degree angle or so, looking from the back.  You can run your hand all the way around my muffler the way it's tucked now.  I really like the idea of the flex joint...manifold gasket saver and cut down on exhaust system vibrations.  Maybe I'll copy that idea next Spring.  

Edited by cygnusx1

• 2 weeks later...

some pictures of the engine bay completed

post-1627-029867800 1293126419_thumb.jpg

Shows the MSD6AL and Tach Adapter along with the Filter King regulator / filter. I really like how the MSD bracket turned out.

post-1627-036394300 1293126426_thumb.jpg

Shows 42DCOE-8 set-up and linkage. The return spring is simple and effective. You can see the copper gasket in this picture. Seems to be working fine so far.

post-1627-042150600 1293126434_thumb.jpg

Opposite view of engine bay. Still needs a few minor items and pieces to complete, but at least it's running. Currently in the break-in period.

post-1627-088322700 1293126443_thumb.jpg

You should think about polishing up that cannon manifold. They look great and it would compliment your headers.

Also why do you have the clutch fan? I would think some electric fans would work better, unless you're going for keeping it original.

Lastly, is the tach adapter needed? I tried hooking up the 6AL unit to my 260 straight to the tach, but the tach didn't work(the 6AL did though). I know my tach is different than yours though. I'm thinking of just doing a full E12-80 dizzy swap also.

on the tach adapter ... I have the OEM 240Z tach ... and I was told I needed it for that tach. it works. on the fan. that's a non-OEM metal flex fan. using the OEM fan clutch caused clearance issues. On use of an electric fan. I just didn't want electric fans in the engine bay. if I have overheating issues, I'll consider it, but I don't see it being an issue. on polishing the manifold ... it's honestly not that high on my priority list, my next set of tasks is getting the interior up to snuff, that will likely take all Winter. about the only thing I'm going to do for sure for the engine is to fabricate a nice heat shield between those headers and the carbs. it's sort of shame to cover them up.

• 2 months later...