HybridZ

280ZX distributor vacuum advance

My car has a 75' L28 with a 280ZX distributor running a Holley 390. Ever since it started getting cold my car has been hard to start and keep running. I just got done checking the cam timing, valve lash, and ignition timing. I also started cleaning the insides of the distributor and while doing that I decided to check of the vacuum advance was working so I sucked on it and found that there's a hole in it.

I can't find any place to buy just the vacuum dashpot, does anyone know where? It's not in my Black Dragon catalog or Autozone.com.

Look down at the bottom of this link - http://www.datsunstore.com/index.php/cPath/7_634/sort/2a/page/2

They're cheaper than the early models but still spendy. Not terrible though.

You should check the specs. though on the 83 vacuum canister and see if that's what you really want. 83 had knock sensors and extra gizmos, valves, etc. on the engine so that they could run lots of vac. advance at certain conditions.

I asked ZMan what the specs. were on their replacement canisters (in the link above) but he couldn't say. Stock 83 had up to 30 degrees crankshaft vacuum advance possible (according to the FSM, I'mnot really sure whn it comes in to play though), which is a ton. Were it me, I would try to find a 79 canister, which would be very close to the 75 specs., although there are still many possibilities. They had 5 different distributors for 79, with from 10 to 18 degrees vac. advance possible.

The canisters look like they should interchange from at least 74 through 83, but I heard that they won't. Probably worth checking though.