HybridZ

Need advice

noobie

Due to a freak accident I had a couple weeks ago, my head gasket is now blown. I picked up a spare L28 without the fuel injection for a really good price and was just going to swap the engines as I have heard it's easier to do that than to replace the head gasket. I'm not sure if my current engine has a warped head or not, but the head of the engine I just purchased is in a good shape and it only has 85,000 miles. I have not seen the engine run, I just have the seller's word. My current engine has a good bottom end. Should I swap the engines, or should I just swap the heads?

Thank you

Swap head gasket: 4 hours, no lifting devices required.

Swap engine...more time, lifting device required.

I don't see 'swapping heads' keep the spare complete for some future use. A shop can check the head for warpage, if you have a decent straightedge and some feeler gauges you can do it.

The original idea was to swap the engines and rebuild the original for a little more performance as time and money allowed in the future. I've been trying to find a forum for advice on the removal and assembly of the head since it will be my first one. Any tips?

Just build the extra engine up as $$$ allows. Replacing the head gasket is not too hard. Get a factory sevice manual online or the How to Rebuild your Nissan Engine book. The trick is to not let your timing chain fall into the block and let the tensioner fall out of it's guide like I did. Even then it just means 4 hours more work taking off the front cover. Definetley make sure the head is straight and use new head bolts.

Edited by 30 ounce