HybridZ

Ford EDIS vs.......

dpuma8

If MS can control spark and such, then what is the reason for going with the Ford EDIS?

I want to dump my money into MS and other components but I do not understand why people are using the EDIS and having to machine the CAS when they could use the stock distributor.

Help?

How many points of slack can you think of between crankshaft and the optical CAS in the stock distributor? The stock CAS itself is good within something like 2 degrees, but there is still all that play in the shaft down to the crank between the rotor shaft and drive quill, then the worm drive at the crank. Not everyone has a ZX turbo CAS either. The EDIS is a known good replacement and for those of us that want a little extra control on our spark the crank trigger EDIS setup is a good option. The crank is an ideal spot to measure crank angle dont you think? Since that is what we base our ignition timing from then it makes the most sense to measure that angle directly. The cam is the second choice in my opinion, but requires more work than either the stock location or the crank for the L series.

Just my opinion. To some it might just be "bling".

Yeah, thats it. The EDIS setup removes slop compared to the Distributor setup. It also adds multiple coils and wasted spark. You don't have to use EDIS, you can use any type of crank trigger setup. EDIS is just a common one. Multiple coils and wasted spark helps greatly at high rpms versus a single coil. It allows more charge time which allows hotter spark at higher rpms.

What they said! Plus for me I was going to have to upgrade my dizzy and it is just a lot cooler looking.

Oh and check my sig if you need a install kit.

Man that plug was just shameless.

Derek

Edited by Derek

What they said! Plus for me I was going to have to upgrade my dizzy and it is just a lot cooler looking.

Oh and check my sig if you need a install kit.

Man that plug was just shameless.

Derek

I think I might need an install kit then.........

How about this?

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/70220-interest-in-custom-distributor-trigger/page__view__findpost__p__665586

I'm thinking of having wheels cut to fit the stock CAS with the 36-1 EDIS pattern so you could use EDIS or just MS off of the stock turbo dizzy.

(Basically for a street setup under 8k RPM)

Edited by mario_82_ZXT