HybridZ

Advice: Building a wall in a garage.

zero

Hey all,

So a buddy and I are starting a bit of a garage for our toys. His family is into real estate development, and own a small pay parking garage in the Bronx. We have been given permission to use a section of this space for our own devices, but want to make it somewhat secure to protect our cars/tools, since it is in a semi-public space. (people shouldnt be walking through, as the attendants park the cars, but it is a somewhat open building)

The space we need to section off is about 35'x45' with a 12'-15' ceiling. We need a barrier across the 45' length with a door to allow cars in.

Our first thought was of a normal drywall partition, but the height combined with the requirement of a car-width door make this a bit expensive.

The next idea we had was to install a 6' chainlink fence with some sort of fabric drape from the ceiling to both provide privacy and keep dust out. A car width swing gate would be installed at one end. This option would certainly be cheaper/ easier but we lose some security.

I attached a pic of the space, I'd like to put the partition just aft of the ramp, spanning that space. I was hoping you guys might have some input or other suggestions about how to partition this space. Thanks for your help.

post-278-042005600 1294074232_thumb.jpg

Edited by zero

If your looking for SECURITY your normal cement blocks and rebar would work best. For the winter cold of N.Y. try using the cement blocks with insulation in them or the EFIS wall system for insulation, keeps the inside cool in summer and warmer in the winter. By the way born and raise in PerthAamboy,N.J. and also have family in Silver Spring, MD just right on the DC borderline . GL With the project!

I would check with building codes and enforcement. Alteration of commercial parking structures can get into some fines. I worked at a place where they built beautiful offices in an open area similar to what you have---very robust over-code construction but wasn't permit-paid. Ended up tearing it all out.

I think in the long run, a Chain Link with privacy curtian to block any eyes seeing through the fence is the best. Behind that you can do what you want once obscured. Don't think drywall is secure by a longshot. A quick kick and you're into the inside and pushing things out through the hole! With fence, you got to bring something to cut it with! No reason you can't go floor-to-ceiling with fence, either! (Code Permitting)

Really it's sad you couldn't slide a container in there. A 45' high-cube would be obviously 45 feet long on one side, and 9'6" tall, so you would only need a short 'stub wall' up top to seal to the roof. The container would provide ample secure storage for the tools and even a car or two without cramping much floor space since it's only 8' 6" wide. You could stick it in through the door (if it's large enough) and move it on 1 or 2" diameter 10' sections of pipe for rollers till it was in position, then drop it on some 4X4's using a 6 ton floor jack. It would doubt it would be more than $3000 delivered. Don't know how that compares with other methods of 'walling it off' but it does provide an 'office space' so if you wanted a 'heated' work area, that could be it with the garage proper being for car storage and etc...

Likely it wouldn't come under any codes that way, either. I'd really look into codes and what they will allow. The last thing you need is a code guy walking through or looking in an open doorway and saying "Hey, who pulled the permit for that, and when?

Good Luck!

Edited by Tony D
  • Like 1

The fence idea would do,just try attaching metal sheets all round for privacy and a little security. Another thing on security,remember there`s nothing impossible for a thief to get to, but we can make it hell for them!

I vote for spiraled razor ribbon across the top of the fence. It just looks right ;)

accessories10.jpg

You don't need to drill holes in the concrete for the posts, although that makes for a cleaner installation. In most warehouses where we installed fence, we used anchor bolts to fix the flanged posts to the floor; everything else goes up easily. I would utilize at least 9 gauge wire for your fabric. It's harder to cut than 11 or *gasp* 12 gauge wire that seems so prevalent at the home improvement stores. A view guard is also a nice touch, but all this gets very pricey. I like the idea of a cinder-block wall and rebar. That keeps people out. Fences are mostly a visual barrier that anyone with some skill can get into.

Davy

My vote goes for the chain link and either metal or plastic securely mounted to the fence about 10 feet high and the width of the wall. I would also recommend a sliding gate so you don't have to worry about swinging it out and hitting something or having to worry about something being in the way. It would also give you alot more space as you wouldn't lose any floor space with it.

We've decided to go with the fence. Right now we're gonna bring out a contractor to see how much they want to install it and decide whether we want to do it ourselves. One reason we are looking to have a contractor install it is because we may try to build a full height fence. In any case, thanks for the advice and I will keep you all posted on progress.

-will