HybridZ

Quick MS question

AkumaNoZeta

I had an idea today and I want to know the possibilities of it before I dedicated more time to research. I want to keep carbs on my car but upgrade the ignition and leave room for a future turbo add-on if I so desire. I always wanted to put an O2 sensor in the exhaust to measure AFRs in different ranges so I was thinking maybe I could get a Megasquirt system to finely control timing curves and be able to view them on the same graph as RPM and AFRs and maybe even a MAP sensor (maybe in NA form, needed in turbo form.) Would MS work with that idea or be too costly for something so simple?

Edited by Grim

I think its a great Idea and not one that hasn't crossed my mind for my car either. You will get a lot of bang for the buck if you shop and plan right. Without a MAP sensor and the carbs, you would need to run "N-Alpha" which requires a TPS in addition to an RPM signal ie. trigger wheel. Not a big deal at all. I am not sure how accurate a MAP sensor would read on N/A with a separate runner intake. Worse case you tap into each runner. However, in theory, each runner should produce roughly equal and consistent vaccum. So installing a vacuum line in one runner for the MAP might suffice. MAP or TPS would work. If you go EFI, then definitely MAP and TPS.

Edited by cygnusx1

So I would need a TPS to get the timing proper? I was thinking the curves could be set using RPM and load so I wouldn't need a TPS. I have no problems with tapping it runner for a better vacuum signal for the MAP sensor, if done to the bottom side it would be unnoticeable anyways. Does MS have the capability of increasing coil voltage like MSD and Mallory do? I was looking at ignition boxes but I couldn't find one I liked because the cheaper ones were to simplistic and the completely tunable ones were way too expensive and still didn't do everything I wanted. At least with MS, if I go turbo in the future and find Webers too difficult to tune properly for the boost then I can switch to EFI easily.

That MegaJolt looks like it only does DIS systems. I actually want to keep using a distributor. My final plans include using a non-VVTi 2JZ-GE with the stock Toyota distributor and triple Webers. I basically want it to look as similar to an S20 as possible.

GRim,

a regular megasquirt 1 with a v2.2 board is all you need to do what you want. Ad a Bosch BIP373 coil driver mod kit so you can fire the coil directly from MS. check out www.diyautotune.com there is all the information you need. You will need to run the MSextra firmware which can be found here http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html .

Usually people start with the injection system and switch to ignition control later, but there is no reason not to do ignition first.

If you want to read true AFR ratio's you are going to need a wideband O2 sensor.

good luck with you build.

XW

Edited by Xander

Thank you. I'm currently looking for a 2JZ-GE to buy when tax returns come in because I'm going to combine that with my profit sharing check and my last couple checks are pretty fat because of holiday and vacation pay. I'm hoping to be able to get a start soon. I'm still contemplating whether I should buy the engine with all that money or buy myself a really good MIG so I can finally do my frames and floors. It all comes down to what the final amount I get comes to. A few months ago I was finding 2JZs all over the place for $500-$600 and now when I look around I can only find a few here and there and they're out of state and local pick-ups only, so if I can't find a good engine then the decision becomes easy.

Thank you everybody for the great input, now I can delete a lot of the products I have bookmarked on my browser because of the confidence you guys gave me that the Megasquirt will do everything I want.