HybridZ

2jz z32

dino

I have used search, and i have been to other websites. I'm really looking for some serious input.

2jzpower.com is not up right now or that would be one of the first places i would go.

basically ive got a tt 300z, and my motors been giving me problems. one of my friends was messing around and said a buddy of his had a complete 2jz swap for sale and i should put it in my z.

i didnt really take him serious as i thought a supraZ? that night i was in walmart, picked up superstreet or one of those magazines, forget which one exactly, and saw a 2jz 300zx.

it made me want to seriously pull this off.

ive been trying to find a build/swap thread for anyone who has done it. no luck for me at all.

all i've found is pictures and videos of them running, and running GOOD at that.

Now onto the questions;

what all exactly am i going to need to BUY?

This guy has a complete 2jz, turbos on it, front sump i believe,

5 spd tranny

he has a 2jz harness, but what would i be doing with the harness? are there any out on the market set up for this swap at all or would it be custom?

mounts? we can fab them up, but are there any out on the market?

drive shaft?

im really looking for specifics and details.

My friend and i will be doing the swap, he is more or less a self pronounced "master mechanic," and there are 2 other guys that will be helping us out.

one has a 95 supra, and he has some good hookups on 2jz parts.

I appreciate any input i can get, and also any CC.

After we pull the vg, i'll probably sell it. It is a 5 spd. There really isnt much wrong with it, broken vtc gears, could probably use 120k kit, need to mess with the flywheel(pain in my ass), just don't want to mess with a vg anymore, too hard to work on. 2jz is def. what i want to do.

If anyone would be interested in buying it, shoot me a pm. maybe we could work something out with shipping and what not. i've got 98.8k miles on my odom. can send pictures and whatever else.

again i appreciate any input anyone has.

thanks

Edited by dino

why not?

2jz is tons more power, way more practical to work on, and hey it's a 2jz.

reasons why to not do it?

Z32= VG30dett There's alot of people who think this is a great motor. Your engine compartment was designed for a v6.

The 2jz is alot longer than the VG. That leaves you with 2 options 1) mount it overhanging front axle = poor weight balance.2) modify firewall and tunnel=difficulty working on motor. Seems to me a poor choice either way( just my .02 ). If you want to try and do it go for it. I am actually biased towards the 2jzgte myself. I have a build in progress in my 240z with one. Good luck.

why not?

2jz is tons more power, way more practical to work on, and hey it's a 2jz.

reasons why to not do it?

d

The engine alone weighs almost 200 POUNDS more then the vg30, the trans weighs about 100 or so pounds more then the nissan trans and you would be adding alot more weight to an already front heavy car.

You would have to find a way to wedge a strait six into and already short engine bay

you would spend more time fixing toyota engineering mistakes then actually driving the car

toyota transmissions are VERY weak

anything 2jz is going to be VERY expensive compared to vg parts and will usually not be in stock

2jz's can't take much abuse in stock form compared to a vg30

You would have to spend almost twice the amount of money in mods to get on the same level of a VG pushing a measly 400WHP.

2jz heads need ALOT of work to flow decently compared to a vg.

No need for meth injection to keep the motor intact with the VG30

VG30 is easier to work on and diagnose once you figure out how the system works

The vg30 is already in the car and doesn't require custom engine mount/exhaust/intake/wiring/oil pan...etc

(these are only a few off the top of my head)

Fix your car and get it running good, then boost it up and go slay some supra's at the drag strip.

d

The engine alone weighs almost 200 POUNDS more then the vg30, the trans weighs about 100 or so pounds more then the nissan trans and you would be adding alot more weight to an already front heavy car.

You would have to find a way to wedge a strait six into and already short engine bay

you would spend more time fixing toyota engineering mistakes then actually driving the car

anything 2jz is going to be VERY expensive compared to vg parts and will usually not be in stock

You would have to spend almost twice the amount of money in mods to get on the same level of a VG pushing a measly 400WHP.

The vg30 is already in the car and doesn't require custom engine mount/exhaust/intake/wiring/oil pan...etc

Fix your car and get it running good, then boost it up and go slay some supra's at the drag strip.

I totally agree with you concerning any comment you made about keeping the VG30dett in this car.(great motor in it's own rite.)

PS the 2jz was not designed in Japan or by Toyota. Try Germany.

• 3 months later...

d

These have to be the dumbest statements ever to be posted to these forums. The VG is a decent motor, but almost impossible to work on in the car. The 2jz is heads and shoulders better.

You would have to find a way to wedge a strait six into and already short engine bay.

It fits perfectly and has been done with no cutting of the firewall.

toyota transmissions are VERY weak.

What planet are you from? The V160 & 161 that came in the TT supra handle over 1000hp on a regular basis.

JZ engines and parts are dirt cheap, because they came in all sorts of cars, not to mention a huge aftermarket following.

2jz's can't take much abuse in stock form compared to a vg30.

lay off the crack. How many VG cars can handle 800whp on stock internals? 2jz don’t need to be reworked every 60k miles.

The 2jz can make 400whp for way less than a Z, you can have a BPU Supra for less than $1k and there are BPU cars pulling 11’s in the 1/4. How much does it take a Vg in a 300zx to do that?

Show me flow charts, or I’m calling more B.S.

2j doesn’t require meth either, although some run it, it depends on the set up.

Is this statement a joke?

True, but isn’t this site about hybrids?

Do you mean fix it up by spending way too much time and money to put down maybe 500hp then go to the track and be embarrassed by any single turbo supra there.

Edited by 2jzosht
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like you don't really want any advice...

But really it your car, if you want to do it then do it. the Downside I would say about it is the wiring. The Z32 up to 95 runs ConsultII thus have a distinct wiring setup. you'd need to swap in the 2JZ harness and ECU, but then getting any of the stock gauges to work will be a pain. Swapping in aftermarket stuff can be done but then will ruin the nice look of the Z32 setup. You're probably not caring about that at this point though. So, Sure go for it, have fun knock yourself out. This isn't a common swap so I'll hope that you'll post picts and to let us know how you've gone about it.

• 3 weeks later...

more power to the OP, it will definitely be a task but thats the cost to be unique. to each their own as far as which engine is superior, im going to side with the 2jz. i wonder if there is enough space to go with the nissan v8 instead of the 2jz. just a thought. you could prob save some space going with a single turbo instead of the twins.

Edited by PerformanceWC

These have to be the dumbest statements ever to be posted to these forums. The VG is a decent motor, but almost impossible to work on in the car. The 2jz is heads and shoulders better.

You would have to find a way to wedge a strait six into and already short engine bay.

It fits perfectly and has been done with no cutting of the firewall.

toyota transmissions are VERY weak.

What planet are you from? The V160 & 161 that came in the TT supra handle over 1000hp on a regular basis.

JZ engines and parts are dirt cheap, because they came in all sorts of cars, not to mention a huge aftermarket following.

2jz's can't take much abuse in stock form compared to a vg30.

lay off the crack. How many VG cars can handle 800whp on stock internals? 2jz don’t need to be reworked every 60k miles.

The 2jz can make 400whp for way less than a Z, you can have a BPU Supra for less than $1k and there are BPU cars pulling 11’s in the 1/4. How much does it take a Vg in a 300zx to do that?

Show me flow charts, or I’m calling more B.S.

2j doesn’t require meth either, although some run it, it depends on the set up.

Is this statement a joke?

True, but isn’t this site about hybrids?

Do you mean fix it up by spending way too much time and money to put down maybe 500hp then go to the track and be embarrassed by any single turbo supra there.

Thank you. Glad someone else typed it out cause I didn't want to go through all the effort. I've built VGs and 2JZs and there is no comparison, the toyota motor is hand down a better motor.