HybridZ

Diesel cam

2eighTZ4me

I yanked apart the diesel head I had lying around in a quest for some core rocker arms, only to find that the rockers are about 1cm shorter than the standard L series rockers. Also come to find that since diesels don't rev that high, they only use one valve spring instead of the inner/outer standard arrangement. So now I have all these useless parts (I "was" able to scarf the valve keepers/retainers though) and wondering what to do with them. The cam was of particular interest. I was unable to get a "letter" off the butt of the cam. In feeling the lobes, it feels like there's a plateau on the nose that would keep the valve open a little longer. I didn't try to fit the cam in a standard L series head, but it looks like it would work. Has anybody messed around with this? Is the cam usable? Anyone have specs?

Best way to answer this question about the cam is to put in a gasser head on an L block. Use a dial gauge and degree wheel and see what kind of numbers you come up with. There are lots of numbers for stock cams out there. Compare the numbers to some of the stock cams and then look at the aftermarket cams ad see what it looks like.

The Diesel cams do have a stamp on the back of them. I do not remember the letter off hand.

My suspicion though is that you will find that the valve events are not conducive to gasoline engine operation to say nothing of overlap or duration for a diesel.

Id be interested in the specs.

I have not had a diesel cam in some time and I never got around to checking this myself to satisfy my curiosity about diesel cams.

• 1 month later...

IMHO a diesel cam couldn't possibly be worth your time... different fuel, different compression, NO spark, etc. The old adage "you aren't going to out-engineer an engineer" comes to mind. I almost always defer to experts in their own field (I say almost because some "experts" are nothing of the sort) -- cam design being aligned with actual use of the engine is *crucial.*

That said, if the mission is simply curiosity, count me in! B)