HybridZ

70's sunroof must go.

zlalomz

I can't stand another day with my sunroof so I need to replace the roof on one of my 73 240's. I have seen the whole roof chopped off a Z and a new one welded in. It looks to me like the roof skin can be drilled out at the spot welds and removed. Has anyone done this or know of the best way to get rid of my 'groovy' sunroof?

'Too much sun in California' Steve

Thought about choppin' the top, but I am keeping it in the F Prepared class in SCCA autocrossing. If no one else has replaced a roof I am going to proceed with this plan. Position and tack weld a rollbar then drill out the spot welds on the current top with the big hole in it. Next,see if the 'skin' will come off. If so, finish weld the rollbar. If not, I will cut the pillars and then weld on the new top trying to keep things aligned. :eek:

It looks like a bodyworking and welding nightmare with thin curved metal and no support. Just hoping someone has actually done one of these methods of repair so I can learn from their experience. I would rather use my mig at home instead of taking the car to a tig weldor.

Steve, I totally feel your pain. After having discussed this very topic with numerous body shop people on this forum and elsewhere, you are correct in assuming that a whole new roof sould be welded on--it is probably LESS hassle then to try and tack a thin, nonsupported piece of sheetmetal in place to fill the stupid holes left by mangling idiots on our old cars (no bitterness here).

I have this very same issue with my car, but I have not been able to get a price quote yet from Donna about it.

The Z pillars have attachments someplace near the centers of the pillars (rear ones anyway) and there is a small amount of lead filler over the welded areas. Donna suggested that they cut the roof at this same place and weld in a new one.

The junkyard would be my FIRST choice as a place to get another roof. I would, in all prudence, cut the junkyard roof off at the base, not the middle, and then figure out where actually to cut it later to make it fit. Just my $.02.

Davy

I just cut up a 77 280Z... i think that the best way to cut it would be to remove the rear windows, and cut from the apex of the window, straight back about an inch or two and then cut vertically through the body to meet the other cut.

It may even be easier to weld like that. But dont take it from me, i have very limited welding experience...

Joe

Guest Anonymous

I would remove the sunroof and get a flanging tool from Eastwood or make one from a pair of straight jaw vice grips with two opposing offset plates welded to each jaw.(I made my own) Make a 1/2 inch flange around the perimeter of the sunroof hole and then lay in a section of sheet metal into the flanged "frame" that will be flush with the surrounding sheet metal top and "alternate" weld in the small gap all the way around.Even if you do not buy anything ..The Eastwood Catalog is a "learning experience"

Originally posted by Steve Parmley:

Sounds much better than a butt weld. :D . I will post some pics of my success or failure.

Please do so; any insight gained in this venture can only help those of us unfortunate enough to have a Z with the pathetic moonroof. If you can provide a pic or two of the progress/process, that would help too smile.gif

Davy