HybridZ

LSx sensor elimination + favorite computer mod service

New to electronic engine control and electronic fuel injection, so I need some help with my LS2/T56 install into my 240z. 1)What is the difference between an ECM and a PCM? I have a Helms manual and cant find a reference to PCM, but it is discussed all over this forum. 2) Here is a list of sensors that I can find in the engine manual: ECT-engine coolant temp sensor, IAT-intake air temp sensor, HOS-heated oxygen sensor (one on each header and one on eaah catalytic converter, EVAP solenoid, CKP-crank position sensor, CMP-cam position sensor, KS-knock sensor, APP-accelorator pedal position, LS oil pressure sender, LS water temp sender, TP-throttle position sensor, VSS-vehicle speed sender, Transmission gear position, Skip Shift, Reverse solenoid, check engine light, diagnostics port. Did I miss anything? What computer and harness mod company do each of you like and what problems have you had? What senders/sensors do I eliminate? What instructions should I give the programer/modification company? This is the part of the project that has me most intimidated. I've spent hours/weeks searching this...

The best way to find info is to search ls1tech.

But of the top of my head

Here are the sensors/outputs that are needed for running the ls1.

SENSORS

Crank Pos

Cam Pos

Knock 1

Knock 2

MAP

MAF

IAT

Throttle Position Sensor

O2 Bank 1

O2 Bank 2

Coolant Temp Sensor

OUTPUT

IAC

Injector 1 -8

Coils 1-8

Since your running an LS2 (Don't qoute me on the info below,I am making assumptions)

Accelerator Pos Sensor

VSS

Things you can delete (If it exists)

Rear O2

Evap System

Air system

EGR system

Fuel Tank sensors/system

VATS system

Skip Shift

Reverse Lockout (Not recommended)

MAF(Speed density only)

Oil Pressure Sender (Go Aftermarket)

OBD 2 port (Not recommended)

This might give you a boost.

Are scratch building a harness, or reworking an old one?

• Administrators

For what are looking at, ECM and PCM are interchangeable. ECM stands for Electronic Control Module, GM likes to give their ECM it's own specific name, PCM which stands for Power-train Control Module. B)

If you are planning to wire this yourself, wanting to learn how and why you'll keep or delete certain sensors, be prepared for TONS of research, on order of 200+ hours of research alone. :blink: As for which sensors to keep, delete, etc? As iron man mentioned, you'll keep most of those, most likely delete the two rear O2 sensors but keep the forward two O2 sensors, VATS delete, skip shift delete, depending on the evap system you plan to run if any at all, have the tach set for whatever tach you plan to run, have the tuner set your gearing and tire size in the software, etc.

If you don't have the time or want to learn it that badly, there are a bunch of companies offering relatively easy plug and play harness and PCM packages for all the LSx power plants. Some you'll answer a series of questions that will help them set up the PCM programming and wiring harness to better match your conversion requirements. Hopefully HBZ member CABLE will chime in, he is quite savvy with the LSx.

Hope that helps,

Paul

Someone say my name? ;)

Although it is possible to modify the harness yourself for stand-alone operation, I find its well worth it to have a third party take care of that part of my customers swaps. The company I use for ALL personal LSx and customer's LSx swaps is www.Wait4MePerformance.com. They are just a 'Mom & Pop' shop, but for the money they can't be beat IMO. Jess does the tuning and Hannah does the harnesses and usually answers the phone. I am not sure what they will charge you (I get a special pricing due to the volume of business I do with them, plus they don't do any PCM work I do my own tuning with my own software), but it should be under $400 to modify the factory GTO harness for stand-alone operation and unlock and delete the no longer needed items from the PCM. When the harness comes back, ever single wire has a label on it so you know where it goes.

You are more than welcome to drop my name when contacting them too, it prob won't be any cheaper, but it wouldn't hurt either.

As always, if you have any further questions, feel free to call me or email me.

Take care.

PCM Rev limiter function:

Prevents excessive rpm by utilizing a fuel cut function at elevated RPM.

(Stops injecting fuel at XXXX Rpm so the engine will physically stay a specifed RPM.

The LS PCM's can be "flashed"(reprogrammed) to modify internal parameters.

EG. Rev Limit.

Flashing requires a computer and software "HPTUNERS"

If your talking about the harnesses, then WAIT4MEProformance is a harness modifying company.

You send them your stock fbody harness, and money.

They give you a modified harness that is plug and play that requires very few external wires to hookup.

If you have the money, it is much easier to send it to them.