HybridZ

Top Gear Tribute to Senna

johnc

I read one of his books about driving techniques about 20 years ago. The information is still burned into my brain. I remember him writing about steering to match the undulations in the surface. As the bumps load the car he could steer in, and steer out on the down side of the bump. That is some hi-res driving!

Edited by cygnusx1

Interesting stuff. I was always a Mansell fan even though Senna may have been overall a faster driver I didn't like his kill to win attitude, like Schumaker. Notice they did not put Mansell's masterly Hungarian GP pass on Senna in that video, that pass made my GP year. In those few seconds Mansell out smarted, out ballsed and out drove Senna all in one clean move.

• 7 months later...

I just saw the movie "Senna" then came home and watch the Top Gear tribute. It was moving to say the least. In addition to his obvious skill, I was struck by Senna's humility and desire for perfection.

I also learned that Patrick Head, technical director for Williams racing, was officially blamed by the Italian courts for Aryton Senna's death 13 yrs after the accident. He was never charged due to the statute of limitations. Apparently the steering failure was caused by "badly designed and badly executed modifications". Unless there is outright negligence, I find it odd that a F1 senior engineer could be blamed at all let alone 13yrs later. The politics of F1 are significant to say the least.

Another interesting note, according to the movie there have been no deaths in F1 since the changes implemented after Senna's death. Maybe God had a purpose for this gifted driver. I'd like to think Aryton Senna would have seen it that way.

I saw the movie in theaters a couple weeks ago as well. Moving to say the least. Even though you know what's coming, it still is pretty heavy at the end.

Truly a fantastic movie, and by far the best documentary I've seen. The total use of file footage, and no distracting interviews really keep you glued to the seat. Had no idea how much that man meant to his country.