HybridZ

Brake Booster Options

Hey all

I've been searching around and have noticed that there are some of you that have swapped out your stock brake boosters and replaced them with boosters from later years...

My question is why?

I realize many of you have been chasing the reaction disk problem.

I'm just asking because I currently have mine out - and it is the original, but seems to be working fine

Are there any advantages to running a booster from other years? Mines a 75 280z which will have a LS1 running in it soon... I can't think of any benefit to running a booster from other years so I thought I'd ask the question...

Being that replacing the booster is such a PIA I was thinking about buying a new one just to avoid a potential failure of an old original part later - and it's easier to install a new one with the Dash out...

Hey all

I've been searching around and have noticed that there are some of you that have swapped out your stock brake boosters and replaced them with boosters from later years...

My question is why?

I realize many of you have been chasing the reaction disk problem.

I'm just asking because I currently have mine out - and it is the original, but seems to be working fine

Are there any advantages to running a booster from other years? Mines a 75 280z which will have a LS1 running in it soon... I can't think of any benefit to running a booster from other years so I thought I'd ask the question...

Being that replacing the booster is such a PIA I was thinking about buying a new one just to avoid a potential failure of an old original part later - and it's easier to install a new one with the Dash out...

I put one on a stock 260 . I think the booster was off a 83'. It has a larger diameter booster, only works with automatic tranny(master clutch cylinder gets in the way). Stopping requires less effort. The car is for my daughter ( She's just starting out).Otherwise it would have a stick shift. The brake pedal feels better to me also.

Hey Ken,

The 280Z booster you have in there is the best choice. In 70-72 240Zs a good upgrade is the 280Z booster as it gives you a bit more power assist.

While yours is out, I would replace it with a reman unit.

Pete

Edited by z-ya

I have also read that upgrading to the bigger ZX master cylinder is a better way to go. I did this to my 260z after I found the M.C. leaking badly. You may need to flip the ZX booster upside down to fit but it won't know the difference.

Edited by dexter72

I have also read that upgrading to the bigger ZX master cylinder is a better way to go. I did this to my 260z after I found the M.C. leaking badly. You may need to flip the ZX booster upside down to fit but it won't know the difference.

I used a stock 240z master cylinder on the 260z with the larger booster. It did have to be flipped upside down.

I suspect that the better pedal feel is simply due to the replacement of your old unit with a new one??

Is there any data available to review or any folks that have tested them?

It feels better to me due to less pedal effort. You do know about opinions and buttholes. Everyone has one, some smell worse than others. Mines no different.It stinks. :P

Edited by ozzzzz

• 2 weeks later...

i upgrade the booster in my 240z to a 280z booster the first time i drove it i almost ate my steering wheel, its amazing stopping power now if there's an available upgrade for the 280z in my opinion it would be a good choice.

• 4 weeks later...