HybridZ

Carburetor woes.... Help me out?

So I have dual Weber DGV's and I'm kinda tired of them. They refuse to start in the cold, and they seem to be tough to tune. When I got the car it would run but wasn't driveable. I rebuilt them and got it running fairly decent but it seemed like the front carb wouldn't provide fuel at idle. Anything off idle was pretty darn good.

I'm just looking for some advice. I'm not really worried about making a lot of power. I'm more concerned about reliability/driveability bang for the buck.

Do I?

A) Keep the Webers because I've already rebuilt them, and just continue to tinker w/them until I do an engine swap in the next 2-3 years?

B ) Get a 4 barrel conversion? Seems kinda pricey/hard to find used ones? (I like this option because it seems like the most reliable.)

C) Get some Hitachi SU's and hope the rebuild isn't too expensive?

Any opinions or help would be greatly appreciated. Yes I've researched... Thanks.

Edited by S30Mark

Moltar that's an awesome idea, but I think he wants to either break even or pay very little. You can probably find a set of roundtop SU's for $150 (that's how much I sold my set for complete with linkage and intake) from a member here, and then flip your carbs for that price(if not more since they are rebuilt). Or you can find some hitachi flattops, like you want, for probably dirt cheap.

I've got a set of roundtop SUs with linkage from my 71. I shot you a PM about them.

The SU is a variable choke design that is stupid simple once you take the time to sit down and learn HOW they work. It's not your typical 4 barrel in terms of operation, and the drivability shows it!

Thanks everyone. I'm going to look deeper into a SU rebuild. I swore I saw an exploded view and they looked pretty complicated. I don't hate the DGV's, but like I said, I've messed with them over and over again and it seems like any significant change in temperature causes them to act up. At idle the front carb doesn't even do anything. Runs on 3 cylinders at idle and sounds kinda lopey like a tractor. I think maybe a 4 barrel conversion is more than I want to spend.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to look deeper into a SU rebuild. I swore I saw an exploded view and they looked pretty complicated. I don't hate the DGV's, but like I said, I've messed with them over and over again and it seems like any significant change in temperature causes them to act up. At idle the front carb doesn't even do anything. Runs on 3 cylinders at idle and sounds kinda lopey like a tractor. I think maybe a 4 barrel conversion is more than I want to spend.

I'm selling a 2 barrel intake setup for $350 or trades if your interested.

Edited by 19762802+2

Carbs generaly don't break.

Most common problems are caused by dirt/crap, and/or NOT adjusted properly.

ALL carbs operate on basicaly the same principles.

I have seen numerous posts by others unable to solve their carb problems,

looking for guidance on what OTHER carb they should get to solve their problem.

If you can't understand/repair one brand of carb, chances are you won't be able to

understand/repair another brand. B) Same goes for EFI.

MANY "carb" problems can be fixed by correcting vacuum leaks,and/or ignition problems.

If it were my car, I would start with the BASICS, and diagnose and repair the problem. :rolleyes:

Edited by jasper

Carbs generaly don't break.

Most common problems are caused by dirt/crap, and/or NOT adjusted properly.

ALL carbs operate on basicaly the same principles.

I have seen numerous posts by others unable to solve their carb problems,

looking for guidance on what OTHER carb they should get to solve their problem.

If you can't understand/repair one brand of carb, chances are you won't be able to

understand/repair another brand. B) Same goes for EFI.

MANY "carb" problems can be fixed by correcting vacuum leaks,and/or ignition problems.

If it were my car, I would start with the BASICS, and diagnose and repair the problem. :rolleyes:

Thanks. I've also heard a lot of complaints with these carbs and I'm looking for more of a "set it and forget it" type setup. I've already been through the basics and then back multiple times.

I was in the same deal.I wanted a set up that was easy and reliable.I ended up talking to dave at Arizona z car and went with the holly set up.yesterday it was 4 degrees outside and decided to run the car because its been sitting a while.It fired right up with no problems.I literally bought the kit bolted it on,walked into jegs and bought my holly and there ya go.The only tuning I did was adjust to lean it or richen it played with the dizzy and that's it no joke.Grant it the motor was all freshly rebuilt.The only thing I don't like is that the kit is slightly spendy and its not as pretty as a set of DCOE's or Su's but the reliability and holly parts availability sold me instantly.

Almost anything looks complicated in exploded view. SUs are very simple carbs with only a few moving parts. Get the SU video from ZTherapy and you'll be just fine.

SU carb:

SU_HS6_explode.gif

2585-main-needle-exploded-view.jpg

All carburetors look complex. If you want a simple carb you will end up with a lawn mower style carb. But this is Hybrid Z so Briggs & Stratton will fit right in. For simplicity, a single carb is the way to go.

We have a set of round-tops on our Z. We got them used, bolted them on and adjusted them. They seem to be working fine. Have been using them almost two years now without a problem. But we want performance and will be changing over to a set of Dell'Orto's soon. The truth is that even the round-tops offer a lot of performance. I've seen a few Z's out on the track doing quite well with stock carbs. Nissan (Datsun) chose their stock carburettors well. You can find the same round-top on many cars including Jaguar.