HybridZ

Fusible Link

Adam87

I think I have a ground wire crossed or something on my 280ZXT. Just finished replacing the 2 pole connectors on the harness for my fuel injectors, Head Temperature Sensor, and air regulator. When I turned her on, she ran for like 3 seconds, then the ign fusible link melted, put a jumper wire on it to test and melted it too.

If I accidentally have one of the connectors wires reversed, would that cause the link to burn? If so is there an easier way to test than cutting the heat-shrink and looking, like with a test light or something.

Thanks,

Adam

Are any of your new connections grounding? that would cause it to burn

None of the wires on the new connections are exposed. I soldered them together and covered with heat-shrink. I'm going to put a fuse holder in place of the link when I get home tonight so I can test some more. The jumper wire idea was dumb, I'm sure it wasn't a thick enough gauge to handle the red 50amp link.

Your jumper wire just did the same thing the fusible link did. It melted because it had too much amperage through it. The components on that circuit,including your fuel pump, should not be pulling enough amps to melt the link or the jumper. There must be a short somewhere in the circuit.

By the way, red may not necessarily be a 50 amp link. There is some confusion about it in the 280Z world. I'm not familiar with ZX's though, but you should probably confirm it or you might melt the next weakest link in the circuit with your 50 amp fuse.

The wiring diagrams should tell if one of the components that you upgraded has a direct connection to ground, that you might have reversed.

Your jumper wire just did the same thing the fusible link did. It melted because it had too much amperage through it. The components on that circuit,including your fuel pump, should not be pulling enough amps to melt the link or the jumper. There must be a short somewhere in the circuit.

By the way, red may not necessarily be a 50 amp link. There is some confusion about it in the 280Z world. I'm not familiar with ZX's though, but you should probably confirm it or you might melt the next weakest link in the circuit with your 50 amp fuse.

The wiring diagrams should tell if one of the components that you upgraded has a direct connection to ground, that you might have reversed.

I was going by this thread / link for the amps. I will definitely double check the FSM first.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/67366-need-help-with-fusible-links/page__p__633319__hl__%2Bfusible+%2Blink__fromsearch__1?do=findComment&comment=633319

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/fusiblelinks/index.html

Good idea, I will look a the wiring diagram to see whats connected to that link.

The descriptions of wire gauge in the FSMs, plus the Courtesy Nissan web page support the premise that Br (Brown) is actually what is now called red and is 0.3 mm^2 in diameter.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/kb_search_result.php?chassis_id=59&keywords=fusible+links&Submit_Button=Go&cat=1

I think that Post #12 in your first link is on the mark. The wire gauge is listed in the FSM. The only reference I have seen on the internet to red as 50 amps is the atlanticz site, and on the atlanticz site, they call red out as 0.69 mm^2 not 0.3 as Hyuri says (in your link). It would be great if blue would address that issue someday on the atlanticz site, since tens, hundreds, maybe thousands of people take it as Z gospel. Luckily it only really matters if you have a short.

It's interesting that the ZX fusible link cover still shows Br for link color, but the stock link looks red.

The descriptions of wire gauge in the FSMs, plus the Courtesy Nissan web page support the premise that Br (Brown) is actually what is now called red and is 0.3 mm^2 in diameter.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/kb_search_result.php?chassis_id=59&keywords=fusible+links&Submit_Button=Go&cat=1

I think that Post #12 in your first link is on the mark. The wire gauge is listed in the FSM. The only reference I have seen on the internet to red as 50 amps is the atlanticz site, and on the atlanticz site, they call red out as 0.69 mm^2 not 0.3 as Hyuri says (in your link). It would be great if blue would address that issue someday on the atlanticz site, since tens, hundreds, maybe thousands of people take it as Z gospel. Luckily it only really matters if you have a short.

It's interesting that the ZX fusible link cover still shows Br for link color, but the stock link looks red.

Yep you are right. Thank you for clearing that up. It is interesting indeed. After looking back I see that hughdogz used a 25 amp fuse for that link.

So I installed a fuse holder and put a 25amp fuse in it. Tested it, turned the key to start it and the fuse blew out instantly. When I have time this weekend I'll go through my new connectors and see what I can figure out. I'll keep y'all updated.