HybridZ

Another school question, Studying Abroad

josh817

For your info, I've done the opposite: Moving from France (Paris) to the US (Detroit Metro area)

It was an awesome experience, I've met tons of people that are now my friends. I've experienced different way of thinkings (about work, cars, girls, hobbies, etc.)

To take advantage of a trip abroad, you need to spend at least 6 months. This was my plan at the time I've left home, I came back 5 years later ;) (with a Z in my luggage)

I've decided to come back I wanted to settle down & I felt more "home" in Europe than in the US (which became my 2nd home) but I will always advice to somebody to travel and to live abroad for some time. I believe you become a smarter person afterwards.

It helps as well to find a job.

As a native Michigander, I might take issue that you 'get smarter' after spending 5 years in Detroit.

Then again, as a native Michigander, I can also say that 'since you were from France' that might possible!

:P

The Pope comes to the U.P. and sees this guy with a Detroit Lions Sweater on being savaged by a black bear by the roadside.

Two burly Yoopers jump out from nowhere wearing Packers sweaters and shoot the bear, and work feverishly to revive the savaged man, but alas it is too late and he succumbs right there at the roadside.

The Pope gives the dead man his absolution, and then thanks and praises the two Yoopers for their heroic efforts at trying to save the man especially since he knows Lions and Packers fans have a natural animosity towards one another. This truly showed their 'brotherhood of man' spirit.

The Pope leaves in his popemobile, and one Yooper looks to the other and says "What was all dat about 'brothehood of man' suff, eh?"

The other said "Don't know, but it looks like we gotta drive back down below and capture us some more Bear Bait!"

"Off Topic To Be Sure!"

P.S.

I never fired at anybody abroad when in the military.

On the other hand, as a civilian contractor after my discharge...yeah.

I know people who went through their trades apprenticeship abroad. For an engineering occupation I would highly recommend any former British Commonwealth country, i.e. NZ, OZ, UK. The apprenticeship program is very well developed. I know people working for compressor companies in Canada (Scottish emigrants) who apprenticed their engineering technical in the same factory where James Watt built the first steam engine. When you have 400 years of tradition working with you as you learn, it instills a special kind of pride.

Do it sooner rather than later, as in many of the countries they are rapidly substituting a relatively quick University Education Requirement in place of the traditional hands-on experience and work requirement. The lie that education is a substitute for experience when you are starting out is being sorely revealed because of this. Find a traditional 5 year apprenticeship program and beat your head into that for a while. At least you're getting paid something while you're there!

Kind of funny you said that! This weekend I was working at a race. In the evening my dad and I hung out with the Chief Steward and his son. His son, about my dads age, and I started talking. He said basically the same thing. He works for some aerospace company that Dell bought out or something and he was pushing hard for coop programs and internships. He said the biggest problem with hiring people right now is kids come out of college with a degree and expect a position rather than a job, "thinking they're going to change the world with their new degree". I told him just recently I started opening up to traveling some place as long as I can afford it. Instead of doing studying abroad (unless I can get a nice scholarship) I could also intern somewhere and I wouldn't care if I got paid or not, just pay for my living expenses. He told me the coop/intern programs are great because not only would you have a degree but you have the hands on experience. He informed me he never finished college but got his job through a coop and with that experience he was able to form a resume.

He wound up giving me his card and he said he would hook me up so I'll give that a shot. I don't think they send anyone international though, I'll just have to see.

As a native Michigander, I might take issue that you 'get smarter' after spending 5 years in Detroit.

Then again, as a native Michigander, I can also say that 'since you were from France' that might possible!

:P

:lol: That's funny! Regarding Frenchies, beware you've only seen the tip of the iceberg. You have no idea how smart they can be :P

I like the little story too but it's unrealistic: who would like to support the Lions??? :lol: (they were acceptable this year apparently based on my friends' feedback)

"He informed me he never finished college but got his job through a coop and with that experience he was able to form a resume."

As someone who has interviewed people and watched them placed and work out (or not) I would 9X out of 10 pick someone with SOME education and 5 years hands-on performance in the field before ANY pure degreed individual with little experience or unrelated internships.

I have talked with several other business owners who have come to the same conclusion. Those first few years out of school are volatile for an employer, and many times 'good prospects' just don't pan out. On the other hand, a guy with a proven track record and some academic background likely is going to work out, AND be able to be trained to do other things.

(The favorite phrase from one of our directors: "You went to college, figure it out!" Straight out of a 60's time capsule!!! :D )

On top of that, I would say I'd hire someone out of one of the country's apprenticeship programs mentioned earlier with 'preference' knowing how the programs work. There is a very BIG difference between what a College or University Degree 'qualifies' you for outside the USA. It's like a High School Diploma used to be in the USA in many cases: basic entry level to a career. It means you have a base, nothing more, and that you now pick up directly related job skills.

I'm sure there are plenty of other guys on this board who will say 'my major has nothing to do with what job I ended up having'---to be sure this is less likely in Engineering, but you go off into different disciplines because that is the nature of jobs today. When I was interviewed, having 20 years in the field and obviously working at the highest levels the Engineering Technical Services Manager interviewing me took a look at my C.V. and simply raised an eyebrow and questiongly stated "Asian Studies?".....

I could tell you all sorts of 'useless information' about myths and legends of the Ryukyu Islands, or anamistic traditions of Meo Tribesmen in Laos... Totally useless in a technical field. But I do work Asia Pacific, and while technical prowess is necessary to do my job increasingly I'm finding that my 'unrelated' studies in cultural aspects of Asia make me far more effective in my job. It confounds other engineers which relate 'problem jobs' which come back with glowing praise of the big fat american that just left. "How dat happen? They hate everybody!" :D

I'd highly recommend trying to get into an apprenticeship. I took the test with NSW last time I was in Oz for my Diesel Fitter's Ticket. Why? Because I could. But also because someone was offering a work visa for technical work... Hell, I might emigrate if the conditions dictate. Having a ticket in another country makes going where the jobs are much easier!

I did a Job in Sask. Canada where they wanted all these qualifications in safety training, I plopped down my NSW Australia OS&H Construction Qualification and all discussion stopped... "Wow, yeah, thats acceptable....uh....how did you get that?!?!?!" :D

My thoughts are technical jobs will be mobile. From what I see, there are plenty of manufacturing facilities which simply can't get the job done with local talent. They need people who can both think AND get hands-on with the equipment to solve problems. They will pay well. A guy who is academically good might get in on front end design, or R&D, but those positions will be limited. The guy who can work in the field. From the day that first equipment starts, they will need him for something or other for the next 20 years! If working purely academically drives you somewhat nuts, consider apprenticeship/coop work to progress both your academic and hands on qualifications. As an employer, you would come higher on my 'hire' list than a more 'distinguished' purely academic canidate (for field work that is!)

Work Abroad? Absolutely.