HybridZ

New coolant temp sensor, gauge reads hot now

BluDestiny

Hey everyone,

Just want to know if this means my stock almost 40 year old temp gauge is crap or is the sensor I bought it crap/reads high. Car is a 260z with an L28 block but using an e88 head and 260z therm housing

So my temp sensor wire practically fell off(too much wiggling around messing with the dizzy) so I decided to basically solder on a new wire and while I was at it replace the old coolant temp sensor(vatozone brand). Used 14 guage stranded wire and used a bullet connector to fit it on the temp sensor. This is the coolant temp sensor that is closest to the block, has a single nipple on it.

Anyway now that I put it in, I bled the coolant system again and the temp gauge now reads at approx. 215-230(right over the "M" in temp)even at idle. Thing is it holds that and really doesn't move. With the old gauge in it read approx 195-205(near the middle). I'm pretty sure that if it is precise that means my car is overheating/running hot. I use the MSA Afco 4 core alum radiator and 2 electric fans to keep cool. Haven't had a problem in the past and just drove my car around today with no incident.

I run a 70water/30prestone mix with half a bottle of water wetter.

Does this mean my gauge is crap? or that the sensor is just not made properly?

what is the resistance at the back of the gauge now, and before you changed it?

You have just learned why old timers suggest "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

You fixed yourself from a compatible sensor and gauge, to incompatibility...

Have you verified EITHER gauge with a meat thermometer in the cap, or I/R gun on the T-Stat housing?

How do you know this one is wrong, or that the other wasn't right>>> :huh:

Back to the drawing board!