HybridZ

Who is using Adjustable Cam Gears on their RB25?

rayaapp2

So I came across a set(yes both) cam gears for the RB. They are new in the boxes, and less than half the cost of any store out there with them. This particular set is made by Fidanza part # 95048 9. Fidanza lists these gears for RB20, RB25, and RB26.

So what Im looking at is an identical set of gears.

Ive been poking around on the net searching for how this is done.

I have seen references to the stock intake gear being slotted already, but I have never taken it apart to discover this. BTW there was only 1 reference to this and I never found anything else on it.

There were a ton of guys just eliminating the variable cam timing components. Thats pretty common. Id like to keep the variable cam timing esp considering I have control over it with the APEXi PFC.

I found another reference on skylinesaustralia stating that very few manufactures design these gears to work with the stock varable cam timing components. I believe they were Greddy, Tomei, and a few others, but after searching for pictures of these gear sets I found none that looked much different to mine.

I would have a much clearer view of things if I disassembled the timing components, but Im just not there yet.

Thanks for any light you guys can shed on the situation.

Greddy makes an intake side one that keeps vct, it's not very common though.

Most people that are looking for gains with the RB25 just get an exhaust side one, I've read adjustments can be made and power can be had with that route.

Others just get both for the bling factor and take their cover off (dumb imo) or use a clear cover.

Edited by jakeoster

Yeah, Im not doing anything for bling... One look at my car and you can see it looks like a POS, and its purposeful. Ive been debating painting it for several years, but I like the POS look. It really pisses off those with 80K dollar sports cars. All my money is performance items. Some day id like to dial in a set of cams and these cam gears will should allow that. For now id like to squeeze every last torque and pony from the motor by dialing the stock cams. Eventually Im going to powder coat a bunch of the stuff under the hood. Not for bling, but to prevent oxidation of the aluminum. The coast weather is already taking a toll on the radiator, intake, IC, IC piping, and valve covers. Ive only lived here for 6 months and Im seeing oxidation. Ive had the car together for several years now without an issue before these past 6 months.

Id like to be able to adjust both intake and exhaust. Im curious what I will actually end up seeing on the dyno though. With the variable cam timing Im not sure how adjustable the intake cam will be before I see a drop in power, but I suspect I can play with a couple of degrees and make a small gain on the intake. I think the biggest gain will be in the exhaust. Its hard to tell with stock cams and the VCT, but Id like to try and see what happens. There isnt much out there on people doing this with real world performance results. I was able to get 33hp and 15torques above my baseline tune(completely stock rb25det and a APEXi SAFC II) from the factory so I suspect I can get a little more out of the cams if the tune from the factory was that far off from performance. Ive installed a lot of performance stuff since the baseline runs. No more SAFC II. APEXi Power FC with FC datalogit, Greddy intake, 3" exhaust, big FMIC, better ign coils, better spark plugs, and a better fuel delivery system.

Speaking of covers, I noticed that seal around them degrades. That is next on my list when I get them powder coated. Replace seal around timing belt cover. Dust seems to get in there no matter what you do, but the seal should help a little. I just removed the coil cover this week to attempt to keep that area from heat soaking more than it needs. It reveals the breather on the back side of the timing cover plate though. I just cant win here I guess.

It appears that seal is a special bead of silicone. It doesnt look like a pre formed gasket just a thick bead laid in there and allowed to setup partially before installed to the backing plate. I will have to figure that out soon I guess.

Thanks for the link! I did not find that one while digging through SAU. I actually posted over there as well. SAU Thread

Here area few of my baseline runs

Tune2withCoppercoresDynoReport7-01-09.jpg

very linear power output. I was not really seeing that flat spot, but I had just installed a brand new Nissan timing belt, tensioner, and idler though. My mileage was about 82K km.

Ray

Edited by rayaapp2

You know what really puts a damper on installing bolt ons...

When threads strip out.

Pulling the harmonic balancer and stripping out the puller bolt holes provided in the balancer pisses me off :angry:

Now I have to pull the radiator and driller for a larger bolt and re-tap... :(

Not exciting.

Well this project has been put on hold guys.

I exercised some stupidity and injured myself very badly. <_<

Anyway, in a month or so when they let me loose on society again Ill continue this topic and post some pictures of the timing gear I used with a writeup and my thoughts on this particular gear.

Ray