HybridZ

WTB early 240Z in original condition as Restauration Project

Jochen

Hello Guys,

I am looking for an early Z in most possible original condition, what could grow up again under my hands.

It should be a 1st series 240Z without big modifications like motor or tranny swap. It has to be with a numbers matching 2.4L engine because our Law for historical cars.

The gearbox could be automatic or manual transmission, 4 or 5 gear.

The Interier can be in a used look, but as possible with all parts, would like to make it inside like new.

The chassis can have rust, but also in a kind what is reperable.

Motor and tranny should work without real problems, carbs could I change or adjust, but the rest should work as possible in a drivable condition.

Paint isn't a matter. Would like to spend some work on the car as I like it to do, so the technics are more important as the optic part. Nevertheless, I am noot locking for a car without metal above the tires... :wink:

I am loocking for a car to buy into the next month, so I have currently plenty time.

Would like to get a car in LA or 3-400 miles around, I have to ship it to germany, so a "big" travel through the states could make my plan more different when I come over buy the car and needed parts.

Please feel free to send me all your available Zs, because I look of course for "my" best deal in condition, price and location.

If someone of you has great tips for me, what shipping company to use, or any else what helps me for my restauration project, would be nice to let me know.

When you are not to far away from my location next month I would like to spend you a beer or two

Looking forward for nice pics, please mail to: 240Z@kaphengst.net

Regards Joe

Edited by Jochen

Hey Ryan,

thanks for your offer, but unfortunately I need a Z with the 2.4L engine (as start).

If everything is done, I can think about modifications, but to start and get my german car inspection / papers, I need it in mostly original condition.

Regards Joe

I am about 300 miles from LA. I never planned on selling it, and haven't even really thought about it until right now, but I would probably be willing to let my car go for the right price...

.1972 Datsun 240Z

.All numbers matching

.3rd owner. Car is an all original California Z, born in So Cal raised in Nor Cal.

.2.4L with all original parts

.120K miles

.Automatic

.Very Clean Interior

.MINOR rust, some surface rust where the are a couple paint chips on the driver door.

The car runs and drives just about every day as long as it's not raining. I was planning on doing a V8 Swap and full restoration, but I realize how rare these cars are in the state mine is in, all original and clean. There are obviously some imperfections in the body, but seeing at the car is 40 years old, I think it looks pretty nice!

If you are interested please give me a call or shoot me an email. I would like to try and get around $6,500 for my car...

John

(925) 784-3962

jdice2@topcon.com

front.jpg

rear2.jpg

Rear1.jpg

INT2.jpg

INT1.jpg

Hello John and 240zip,

many many thanks for the two offers/hints, but to be honest both cars looks great, or unfortunately "too great" :lol:

First of all I have to say that my budget is around the half amount these two are offered for. (they are a bargain for the condition without a question)

Also my wish is crazy to put in words, but I would like to do some chassis work and interieur work, to let it grow up in my hands again. I like the work, and it is just planned as a hobby car for me.

I know that a more or less perfect car is under the line less work to finalize the restauration and safe time/money, but to get a car what is nearly ready like these two won't satisfy me as a complete 100% restauration. Crazy or?

That means not that I am loocking for some scrap what did not roll anymore, but if I check out craiglist, there are few cars available what fit my "wish conditions" and still make sense to restore.

Did I mention already that I am married, and father of a nice daugther? I HAVE to safe money and HAVE to spend time in my garage :D

Thanks,

Joe

@240zip mit freundlichen Grüssen zurück!

given labor costs in Germany and the cost of shipping the car to the EU I would expect that $5,000 would be a good price for a car. Having said that ...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/pts/2256393438.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/2251229327.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/2252521553.html

if you bring a car in as a parts car, it falls under different import regulations. I'm sure you know that. It's always easier to bring in a good running car rather that deal with regulations after.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/2245305368.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/2253161745.html

It's really a pain to try and move and then load a non-running car. I've done it for my father-in-law in Europe. Really, really a pain.

Hey,

you are mostly right, also with the labour. But as I said I like the work to restaurate, there I count not all my hours.

About the tax and possibilitys with importing a car, germany is (as always) very restricted, but normally if the car is more or less complete it makes no difference if it can drive or not. Thats a different if you have an "half" car.

But my goal is, that I live 160km from Rotterdam, and in the netherland it's more easy for me.

Have to pay "only" 19% on the price of the car plus shipping, no tax and unimportant if the car drives or not.

I would like to get a car what drives, makes specially the transport in the states more easy, here I could use a trailer, a hitch I have on my company car.

The cars in your links:

the first is too far from LA has no title and "seems not to drive" :wink:

the second in San Jose is exact what I am loocking for, I mailed the owner today already but wait on the answer.

the first one in walnut creek is without engine and trans, but the chassis looks intresting as I can say this only from these pics, also close to LA (for the price I could take it too...)

second in walnut creek looks perfect to me, "but" as it seems nearly no work for me. Paint is not my job, that has to been done by a professional if really needed at this one, rubbers and so on is easy of course. Again a price above my current limit.

the one in inglewood I have contacted already too and wait also on an answer. Could be also interesting for my project.

Hopefully my english is good enough and I find the right words all around, I am really excited about your help and happy over any link and tip I get to find my Z. My wife is already turning with her eyes if I sit in front of my pc...

Joe

Just a warning. I told my wife that my current car was going to be an 'easy project' and should take no more than a month. It took more than one year. Check out this thread of my build.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/96860-update-on-240z-restoration/page__p__909740__fromsearch__1#entry909740

The car isn't finished yet. I still need to re-do the seats, replace the dash with a new one I have. Replace the door panels with OEM ones I have and detail the complete interior. It will be nice when done, but a one month project turned into a two year event.

Well, I understand your warning really, and I know what you are speaking from.

But that is what I want to do.

Maybe as additional information, I am a learned agricultural mechanic (hope the description is right) and have the knowledge and tools for welding, as for the needed metalwork and electrical things.

At my home I have a small but nice garage with some great tools and know to use them.

As I am not working as mechanic since years, I do this only as my hobby if I have time for. I own already a very modified (for german conditions) Jeep XJ, and a 1975 Dodge B300 with original Tradesman Surveyor camping modification in original condition.

The only things what I knew but can't do really great by myself is painting, and I have the "learned but never used" knowledge of engines as far as in my job-learning included. But therefore I never really worked on engines and trannys, I would like to get a car with working ones.

Maybe somewhen I would like to build up an engine, but not yet, or not the one from the Z. Maybe an additional one, when the restauration is done.

regards Joe

Edited by Jochen

Laws in Germany are allot stricter on TUV, but why don’t you do it via Holland? Since it is all EU if it is registered there they HAVE to accept it even if it has a 2.8, We do the same with GTR's via England or Germany

And actually a car 25 years old is not submersed to the 19% law, especially if you ship it as a incomplete vehicle ;)

Anyhow lets talk and see where i can pitch in, i have some experiance on my hand with importing cars and z's ;) Your best bet is not to mail people in advance but to be in the states and drop by. My experiance with most Americans is that they tend to 'fear' foreighners due to scammers etc. (sorry guys im not trying to offend anyone here).

And you dont have to fear that there is no z's arround you will be amazed by what you find there !

Hey Frank,

thanks for your comment, great to read your words, and well, I think we have to speak!

That only few people who I write to in advance not answer as you say I realize sinca a time. That was my reason to ask for help in the forums all around. But more and more few people here wrote me and say the same as you, there will be Zs for me.

Already I hear your name in combination with importing Zs, and yes it would be a pleasure to me, discuss some possibilitys and get tipps from you for my first USA Travel :wink:

Send you an mail with "import related" questions, thanks!

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

In three Days I put my Feets the First Time on US ground, but still has no 240z in sight to buy.

I will stay in orange or somewhere in this Area, and I am looking in a distance from about 300 mls.

If somebody knows a nice Z what fits to my Request above in that Region, please let me know.

Craiglist I View few times per Day, but the most owners don't like to answer a German guy I think....

Thanks for any help.

Joe

Now I am here in California, where are the nice Zs what I've seen the last month? All gone?

Let me get your offers, have Cash in my Pocket. Loocking in La and about 300mls for a drivable z.

Budget is a question of Condition....

Come on guys, let it go NOW.

Joe

323 313 4529