HybridZ

Starting Issue with RHD 280zx (2+2)

tsabboi

Sorry this is my first time posting so please forgive any noob things i say:

I have a 1979 280zx 2+2, Right Hand Drive, 5 speed manual.

To start off: I recently finish installing a new starter and alternator, the car already has new spark plugs, battery + fresh oil. The master and slave clutch cylinder are also not installed (Is this the big issue?)

After installing the new starter and alternator, the car doesn't start up anymore, but it was cranking before.

The starter has one more gear on the pinion gear compared to the stock starter, but i dont think that would be a big problem.

The starting issue is: when I try to crank the engine, all it does is make a click noise around the starter area, and my battery voltages drops to 0!!! It gradually goes back to 12.5-8V of course.

I've tried to jump start it but it was still dropping voltage, the starter has good ground + voltage (may not be getting enough Amps?)

Any ideas???

its possible if the gears (being different) aren't the right pitch then they would bind on the flywheel gears and not allow anything to turn, would be easy to check if you have a spare flywheel to mock together and see if the gears will roll freely across each other.

It could be completely off the wall, but I've had a similar issue with the ignition switch in my ZX sometimes if its turned too far and gives a similar response (ie bad switch). I don't think this is likely for your case, but just one of those things that could have developed with curious timing.

I'd double check the starter is the right part. Compare it to the previous starter and see if the teeth are the same dimensions.

But also check to make sure you've got good battery connection. If you're not getting solid contact on the battery terminals you might be getting the same symptoms. I know I have.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know how to put it in correct wording but: When i check the voltage before cranking the engine, it's at 12.2-4 ish. The moment i put load into it (by cranking) the voltage drops immediately to 0, afterwords it takes awhile to regain back the voltage, battery is pretty new FYI.

So my solution now is to just test the ignition system until i find a short somewhere, but if you guys have better ideas i'm all ears.

Dunno tony. I see the same exact issue quite often with poor battery terminal connection. I'm just too lazy to replace my cables.

tsabboi - where are you checking voltage. To rule out battery connection issues like I have, have someone turn the key over and check voltage at the terminal connections, then on the battery posts themselves. Does the battery drop to 0 volts? If there's any difference in voltage at the terminal versus the terminal connections then you have poor conductivity between the two.

Dunno tony. I see the same exact issue quite often with poor battery terminal connection. I'm just too lazy to replace my cables.

tsabboi - where are you checking voltage. To rule out battery connection issues like I have, have someone turn the key over and check voltage at the terminal connections, then on the battery posts themselves. Does the battery drop to 0 volts? If there's any difference in voltage at the terminal versus the terminal connections then you have poor conductivity between the two.

Man i feel so stupid right now :)

after reading your post i took my terminal apart and guess what was under the terminal? White, rusty gunk, and after applying some spray to it, GOLD!!!

had some trouble starting up but it did, but since its almost night i cant continue working on it, but thanks so much guys!

I will post up more info later...

Man i feel so stupid right now :)

after reading your post i took my terminal apart and guess what was under the terminal? White, rusty gunk, and after applying some spray to it, REVIVED!!!

had some trouble starting up but it did, but since its almost night i cant continue working on it, but thanks so much guys!

I will post up more info later...