HybridZ

Swapping 75' 280z half shafts

stav2201

My drivers side half shaft bushing went out on the U joint and i need to replace it. I figure it is cheaper just to replace the entire thing than the bushing. From what i have researched, 240 half shafts should fit, but, they are thinner and not as strong as the 280 half shafts. I do plan on going with an 83' 280zx turbo swap (Running 280zx Ecu). Im afraid that the 240 shafts may not be strong enough for the power im putting out, so, will the 280zx half shafts fit or do they require custom fitting? thank you for the help

I just re-read my old post referenced above by Stravi757 which contains this Beta Motors Sports link http://www.betamotor...00handling.html.

One of the variables not mentioned is strut length which would change the geometry of the strut/control arm/half shaft assembly which would also affect strut travel and the telescoping action of the half shaft.

Here is the question: Are the rear struts on a 280Z longer than the 240Z struts? If so, would a longer strut add to the droop of the control arm and prevent the half shaft from compressing to its' limit (bottom out)?

I have done a few R200 swaps and never had a problem, but I also install stiffer rear springs (280lb/In. spring rate). The cars are daily drivers and not race cars so I may never push the suspension to its' limits.

Since the 240Z and 280Z half shafts appear to be of the same length how did Nissan handle this problem?

If someone has a 240Z and a 280Z rear strut they could measure the length of each one and also post some side by side pictures.

Edited by Miles