HybridZ

HP rating for a stock Z 5 speed?

Tranny held fine, although I've got bigger fish to fry. After 3 laps, the motor started missing on several cylinders at 7psi of boost, and a lap later, 5psi, and then a lap later - 3psi. Can't figure out what's going on. On the street the car is great. The tranny has held 13psi with no problems whatsoever.

Damn thing won't stay in 1st gear though....

If you're going to go through the trouble of installing a 240SX box, I wouldn't bother with one from an S13 (1988 - 1994). They provide somewhat of an increase in strength over the S30 and S130 boxes, with slightly wider gears, but the S14 (1993 - 1998) boxes offer a number of significant improvements over all of them. First of all, the S14 gears are much wider. First gear alone is 3 mm wider than what you'll find in the S13. The output shaft is also 1mm larger in diameter. S14 boxes are available with synchros on all gears including reverse, and a dual cone synchro was added to second gear. Sealed ball bearings are used throughout.

Now, apparently there is an "in-between" S14 box that has the wider gears and output shaft but doesn't have a synchronized reverse gear. You'll notice that there is some overlap in production between the S13 and S14 (1993 - 1994). I'm guessing that's when this in-between box would be found in the S14's, but I've found no way to know for sure exactly what years this applies to. I'm not aware of any way to tell without opening up the case.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

Edited by Nigel

Nigel - I read your article twice. I clearly see the differences and advantages of the later box. I am not settling for the earlier box. I want reliability under power. I'm having a rather difficult time finding one, but I have feelers out to some of my friends who are junkyard rats, as well as a few JDM importers. Something will turn up eventually. Excellent writeup by the way!

Nigel - I read your article twice. I clearly see the differences and advantages of the later box. I am not settling for the earlier box. I want reliability under power. I'm having a rather difficult time finding one, but I have feelers out to some of my friends who are junkyard rats, as well as a few JDM importers. Something will turn up eventually. Excellent writeup by the way!

I'm glad you liked my writeup. I was getting really frustrated finding concrete, accurate and complete info on this swap. So, I decided to go ahead and do it, and document everything.

Nigel

I forgot to mention, I found my SX boxes through the local 240SX club. I kept an eye on the classified page on their forum. They come up fairly regularly.

Nigel

I just got a hit on one about 60 miles away in a junkyard that "supposedly" came out of a 95 model. They said they'd crack the case so I can measure the gears, so I'll know for sure what I'm getting. $275 is probably a bit much, but it's the only one I can find. Thanks for all your help!

Other than the slip joint yoke on the rear of the tranny---is there any differences that would keep one from doing the conversion with the 91 box, and then simply changing the front yoke and upgrading to the later box when you find one?

I found no less than 3 91 240SX's in line at the JY, and the pickins was easy. There was an obvious difference in gear sizes between the existing L-Based boxes . They were all destined for street cars anyway, so it was more a matter of practical finding of a 5 speed that would supplant what I had, more than big power handling. Though the ability to swap to turbo without much fuss was in the back of my head.

If an S14 and later box swap is just a yoke away...hell, I'm there. I'll just be a bit more specific on which I harvest. But three in one day filled my needs for the moment! :P

Other than the slip joint yoke on the rear of the tranny---is there any differences that would keep one from doing the conversion with the 91 box, and then simply changing the front yoke and upgrading to the later box when you find one?

I found no less than 3 91 240SX's in line at the JY, and the pickins was easy. There was an obvious difference in gear sizes between the existing L-Based boxes . They were all destined for street cars anyway, so it was more a matter of practical finding of a 5 speed that would supplant what I had, more than big power handling. Though the ability to swap to turbo without much fuss was in the back of my head.

If an S14 and later box swap is just a yoke away...hell, I'm there. I'll just be a bit more specific on which I harvest. But three in one day filled my needs for the moment! :P

The output shaft spline and rear bushing is the same on S13's, S14's, S30's and S130's (S130 turbo's excluded). The only difference between how an S13/S14 driveshaft mates with the transmisison and an S30/S130 combo is that the S30/S130 has the dust shield attached to the driveshaft, and the S13/S14 has it attached to the tail end of the transmission. With a couple of good wacks from a hammer, you can break the two welds that hold the dust shield on to an S30/S130 driveshaft, slide the shield off and the shaft will fit into an S13/S14 gearbox no problem. I'm using a '71 driveshaft with my S14 transmission with no modifications, other than the removal of the dust shield. The very early S30 driveshafts are the perfect length to use with the S13/S14 transmission, because they're 50mm shorter than the '72(?) and later S30's and S130's, and the S13/S14 transmission is 50mm longer.

So, if you want to switch from an S13 transmission to an S14 transmission, all you have to do is swap your already modified S130 bellhousing from the front of the S13 to to the S14 box. That's it. I actually started out with an S13 transmission because everybody on-line was saying they were the same as the S14. It turned out that the 3rd gear syncro in my S13 box was shot, but by that point, I stumbled upon some rumors that the S14 box was better, so I sourced one to confirm it and swapped it in.

From the outside, there's very little to tell the difference between an S13 and S14 transmission. The most obvious difference you're likely to spot is that the S14 driveshaft dust shield at the rear of the transmission is much longer, and it's rubber coated, I'm guessing to provide some vibration damping. The S14 also has a plastic speedometer gear housing instead of aluminium. FInally, the S14 has tube going from the breather hole on the case, up to the top of the bellhousing, rather than the plastic chimney like the S30/S130/S13. Keep in mind, I'm not exactly sure when these changes took place, so it's possible you could find some of these features on an S13.

Nigel

Edited by Nigel

To add to the confusion, a 1987 200SX has all the features of the S13 box, plus dual-cone syncro on second gear (this actually happened in 1986), AND is NOT 50MM longer than the stock S30 transmission. The Nissan moniker is FS5W71H. It's essentially the same internally as an S13 FS5W71C, but somewhere along the way they lost two inches...

On the first gear pop-out...check and see if your shift boot is doing it. Mine does. Take the shift boot off, and it stops popping out of gear.

" I'm using a '71 driveshaft with my S14 transmission with no modifications, other than the removal of the dust shield. The very early S30 driveshafts are the perfect length to use with the S13/S14 transmission, because they're 50mm shorter than the '72(?) and later S30's and S130's, and the S13/S14 transmission is 50mm longer."

SSSSSSHHHHHH! And Nissan was blowing out brand new early driveshafts for $68!!!! I picked up a buttload of them when I came to this same discovery.

The only other item I considered was that funky rubber tripod thing the 240SX used to transmit the torque. I thought "hey, that would be nice for the wife's car...nice an quiet, and probably make the differential mount last longer" but alas too much for me when that 71 shaft fit right in there brandy-new with the Nissan Stickers still on it. Beat the hell out of paying IEDLS $150 for fabbing one!

Sometimes Nissan DOES come up with some deals! :lol: