HybridZ

Cipher Auto Seats

240zBoy

I was ordering a pair of nrg seats and harnesses the other day for my z and saw that shipping was $200 right before I purchased so I backed out to keep looking. So now I became attached to the idea of putting these Cipher Auto seats in my car. They have had great reviews, pricing, and customer service. With the link above there are dimensions added that I think will work but I am not quite sure. The other seat that I am considering if this one will not fit is the DAD seats.

These are in my price range and I do not need anything super fancy like corbeau,sparco,bride,cobra and whatever.

Edit: I found this on a guy who put them in his e30. If they fit in there I feel there is a good shot. Not to mention you can really see the seats in the pics and they keep growin on me haha. http://www.superhonda.com/forum/f207/product-review-cipher-auto-racing-seats-356298/

Edited by 240zBoy

$150 isn't uncommon for shipping on seats. There's not really a great way to ship them cheaply.

They look to be pretty decent for a cheaper seat. How much do they run?

I remember seeing a group buy thread linked from a Nissan forum that had some pretty good deals on knockoff seats. I was going to pick some of their nicer ones or go with OEM 350z cloth seats for my build.

Edited by cockerstar

I had those NRG harnesses a couple years ago and they were pure, unfiltered, unadulterated, garbage. They did not stay tight around my shoulders and were so skinny they were digging in collarbones. The mounting brackets felt like super cheap metal. I really hate hate hate knock off parts, especially when they involve my personal safety and livelihood, but since you're going that route I'd advise against cheap ass harnesses, if you want to save, find some used but good condition Sparcos or Willans. Or better yet Takata, just beware of knockoffs. Either way 3 in wide harnesses will be alot more comfortable in the long run.

• 1 month later...

ah i was afraid to put anything with wings wider than the bolsters in the car.

well, for anyone wondering, the cipher auto, nrg type-r, recaro srd knock off type seat fits pretty well. i have pictures, but my mac seems to gate me right now. my 6"2 friend fit in the seat's mocked up position on top of the stock mounting brackets with the seat raisers and slider and had a little head room to spare. i could sit in the seat with a helmet with no problem. i picked mine up for 160$ for the set, i figure for that much i can play around with the seat, and get them reupholstered and bolstered or toss them when the time comes to upgrade.

• 4 months later...

Sort of an old thread - but I'll chime in & support the Cipher seats. I got a set of the CPA1019's. They're very nice quality, and appear to be comfortable & supportive in all the right places. What I would NOT recommend are their brackets. They outsource them to a company called Wedge Engineering, and the ones I got were terribly designed (less than 3 threads holding the seat onto the bracket), and badly fitting. e.g. on the passenger seat there was 4+ inches of extra room on the inside, but I couldn't close the door because the bolster stuck out so much on the outside.

I'm still fudging through designing some brackets of my own, but it's slow going with the limited amount of spare time I have.