HybridZ

LSx s30 Longtube group buy thread

My friends and I took a real close look at these headers and do not see why they would not fit an automatic transmission set up.  The bell housing is all the same auto or stick, the pan is the only real question and if need be the collector could be slightly re-routed. I have had to this before.

• 3 weeks later...

Spoke to Blake and ordered a set, supposed to be built and shipped by next Thursday. I will be doing some modifying to them as I am running a 4L80E transmission but just like some said that a 4L80E wouldn't fit in a 240Z...not!  I cut the ears of the case and hammered the drivers side where the plug goes into the transmission and presto she fit easily. My buddy made hard lines for her and she is in with trans cooler. Got to pull her out and put the flex plate and 9" Edge 3600 stall converter in and I should be ready for the harness next.

Going to call PSI and order a harness next week. Hope to have her ready in 4 weeks, fingers crossed!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Got my headers from Blake yesterday. Took me 1.5 hrs to get the passengers side in, mainly clearancing the motor mount and bolt head as mention early in thread also cut some of the lip off the TC mount. I am sure the drivers side will be a pain in the butt but what the hell. PSI sent out the custom harness, should be here by Wednesday. Transmission is back out for a look see and shift kit. Things are coming together fast. Also picked up an Autometer electronic speedo, waiting on it to install and put dash back in.

Blake on my 240 the primary tube hit (barely)the motor mount and head of corner bolt. I only took enough off to clear it plus a little play, was not a real biggie, would have gone quicker but I didn't want to butcher anything. Thanks, they are really nice pieces for sure, well worth the cost!  John at PSI was very helpful, thanks for the hook up!

Mike

Edited by Zfan1

Mike, I found the same with mine, ground down the raised lip on the bolt and knocked off the corner of the mount to provide adequate clearance. Took less than 15 minutes...

My SS longtubes have now a few thousand miles on them, a wonderful patina and terrific sound and am glad we did this!

Exactly, getting an angle grinder in there was tight so it took a little longer than it should of, my air cutting tool took a dump on me when needed the most...imagine that...LOL  Just started playing with the other side (driver), going to be tight!

• 1 month later...

Well, the headers are in the car and will need the collectors messaged a little but for those of you running an auto they will work. I got them to work with a 4L80E, a big transmission to say the least. Just have to cut on the collector to get it over an inch at best and presto. Will post pictures when I get the time.

Well ran into a bit of an issue. The steering shaft hits the #5 tube and the coupler bolt hits the #7 tube, not rubbing against it but when I drop the motor it hits and will not allow the motor to go back into the original position. Probably raised 3/4" before clearing steering shaft. Any insight or idea's?

Thanks

Mike

I'm in the middle of my LS3 conversion.  I have the headers installed for fitment.  The passenger side headers are block the oil temperature sensor on the F body oil pan. Here is a link to the oil pan: http://texas-speed.com/p-1588-gm-oil-pan-kit-98-02-ls1-f-body.aspx

Anyone encounter this problem?  I would consider different oil pan with different oil temp sensor placement.  Not sure which pan would work.  I will ask the member in the LS1 forum for advise but hope someone already has the solution here

gallery_38074_1276_125622.jpg

gallery_38074_1276_142655.jpg

I think that is the oil level "low oil switch/indicator"  I didn't use mine.

I solved some issues myself last night but the upper knuckle fastener/bolt on the steering shaft still hits the #7 primary tube, may have to dimple it to even get close to clearing it.

post-3394-0-51977100-1371995316_thumb.jpeg

I attempted a Quick Time bellhousing install on my LS3 and T56 transmission.  The Quick Time bellhousing is too big for the headers.  It will not fit between the headers.  The stock GM bellhousing works fine.  I plan to use the GM housing.  Out of curiosity, has anyone tried the McLeod bell housing with these headers and a T56 trans?