HybridZ

Dedicated headlight circuit

emeraldlion

Was hoping some of the electrical engineering guys might chip in on this. I can do electrical work but when it comes to building circuits I fall a little flat. I was wondering what it would take to eliminate the combo switch and create a dedicated headlight circuit so that you just hit a switch mounted in panel to turn on and off. Would it even be worth it? Thanks for the help.

Zsonthebrain ( look over at www.classiczcars.com ) makes a headlight conversion. It uses relays under the hood to feed battery +12 directly to the head lamps. The column switch is used only the trigger the relays so the amperage is really low. Thats saves the switch, fuse block and associated wiring. Plus your head lamps will be much brighter. My question to you is why would you want to bypass the column switch just to add another switch?

Edited by ezzzzzzz

To eliminate the combo switch and have a more simple toggle. I think I've read about the setup you mentioned. I think it is sold through MSA. Right now headlights are drawing the most amps and I thought If I could wire a seperate circuit with better gauge wire and simpler switch setup it might be worth it. May not be. I'll be cleaning my combo switch today to see if it helps anything. Headlights are so dim and my wiring is crappy(like most others). Didn't want to go with a whole new harness right now(I know it's a patch and not a fix). Just would like to get it running right now.

Dude it's just what rb26 said. You need a power source(battery) a switch, a ground, and like 10 ft of wire depending on where you put the switch. Like running electrical fan wiring. But you need to consider that you also need a seperate circuit for the highs, and the parking lights. Then you need a switch each for the turn signals(or a fancy dual switch).

But if your combo switch works fine and it's just a matter of dim lights, you can try and get some new ones, or install a relay direct to the lights, that it a little more simple since all the wires are there. I think there use to be a write up on xenons30.com but I can't seem to find it. It would be the same principal as the starter relay for direct battery power.